cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!

New Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!


longtimelurker wrote:

CreditContractor wrote:

Had to be the Russians.  They have no shame.


If you are a theif, this is what you do.   In that context I don't see this as particularly shameful, ripping ofg a big store or a bank is, IMO, a lot less shameful than defrauding an old person of their life savings for example.   Not that they might not do that too!

 

But it is interesting that the banks require almost no verification.  

 

 


yeah.. and by ripping off a big bank, the consequences "trickle down" to the employees and customers that will likely see an increase in fees. Stealing is stealing whether the entity being stolen from is sympathetic or not. 

 

OP, did they tell you what handbags were purchased? I'm really curious what they thief wanted so badly.

6/3/17: TU 628 | EQ 635 | EX 613
8/17/17: TU 640 | EQ 655 | Ex 635
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!

Holy Guacamole!!!

$11K just for 2 freakin handbags??!!! I would've passed out in front of the computer!!

@OP ; Did you have chip (emv) on your card? I read that banks are not liable to cover any fraudulent charges on cards with such chips and that merchants are. Banks cover losses for frauds on non-chip cards. You would think that merchants would ask for an ID with such a big purchase right? Well obviously they didn't!!
Makes my friggin blood boil knowing that someone got away with $11K worth of stolen merchandise!! And that my friend is one of the reasons why we all pay such a high APR on CCs!

In the garden 'til 02/2018
Rebuilding since BK7 dc in 01/2011 with FICO8 in the 500s
10/01/17 Fico8 EX 706 EQ 723 TU 700
INQs EX 5 EQ 5 TU 3

Penfed TR Amex $10K | C1 QS $12K | Discover it $7.5K | Discover More (AU) $11.7K | Marvel MC $8K | Barclay Financing Visa $7.2K | BoA CR $2.5K | Blispay $3K | Citi BB Visa (AU) $8K | WalMart $6K
Epic Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!


lavinder11 wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

CreditContractor wrote:

Had to be the Russians.  They have no shame.


If you are a theif, this is what you do.   In that context I don't see this as particularly shameful, ripping ofg a big store or a bank is, IMO, a lot less shameful than defrauding an old person of their life savings for example.   Not that they might not do that too!

 

But it is interesting that the banks require almost no verification.  

 

 


yeah.. and by ripping off a big bank, the consequences "trickle down" to the employees and customers that will likely see an increase in fees. Stealing is stealing whether the entity being stolen from is sympathetic or not. 

 

OP, did they tell you what handbags were purchased? I'm really curious what they thief wanted so badly.


2 Chanel Bags

Frequent Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!

Merchants that use EMV are not liable for fraud. Its when they swipe an EMV card that they will be held liable. 

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Platinum, and Capital One Spark Business.
Established Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!

I can't believe they never asked for id.  Thoses bags make LV look cheap.   I hope they catch them and you can find out how they did it. 

Established Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!

Since ID wasn't requested, I wonder if it was a duo team -- the thief and the sales person. Just a thought.

On another note: when I was traveling in AL (reside in Va) and stopped to purchase gas, I received a text requesting verification of the gas purchase. "Press 1 for yes; 2 for no." If more banks took this simple precaution, I believe their losses would decline substantially!!


EX 759, TU 764, EQ 743
|| NFCU CashRewards $16.5K || Discover IT $7.5K || NFCU Platinum $7.5K || Macy's $7.5K || CitiCostco $5.5K || Chase $5K || CitiDC $4.8K ||
Established Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!


CreditInspired wrote:
Since ID wasn't requested, I wonder if it was a duo team -- the thief and the sales person. Just a thought.

On another note: when I was traveling in AL (reside in Va) and stopped to purchase gas, I received a text requesting verification of the gas purchase. "Press 1 for yes; 2 for no." If more banks took this simple precaution, I believe their losses would decline substantially!!

Some card companies simply won't allow sales over xx miles from home with the card unless you tell them upfront.  It was great for fraud but caused delays when card declined and they had to call.  

Regular Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!

Phew! Glad it worked out.

 

Im glad I have alerts set up!

 

 

EQ: 730 | TU: 735 | EX: 719 || Short Term Goal Scores 750+ || Chase | BofA | Discover | Capital One | Target | EFCU
Super Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!!


Backwoods wrote:

CreditInspired wrote:
Since ID wasn't requested, I wonder if it was a duo team -- the thief and the sales person. Just a thought.

On another note: when I was traveling in AL (reside in Va) and stopped to purchase gas, I received a text requesting verification of the gas purchase. "Press 1 for yes; 2 for no." If more banks took this simple precaution, I believe their losses would decline substantially!!

Some card companies simply won't allow sales over xx miles from home with the card unless you tell them upfront.  It was great for fraud but caused delays when card declined and they had to call.  


Right, and that causes consumers to adopt other cards or pay in other ways.   Apart from the inconvenience, a lot of people would be put off by the actual or apparent decline ("something;s wrong with that man's card!") and if the verification happens after the purchase, someone has already lost the money anyway if it is fraud

Epic Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales Store Card Fraud!! UPDATE

UPDATE:

 

Of course, the charges were immediately erased and no payment due and received a follow-up statement showing zero balance.

Fast forward to yesterday I received my new BLACK Bloomingdales Card in the mail to thank me for being a big spender with Bloomingdales Smiley Tongue

Now I earn major bonus points per dollar spent and get free shipping and free returns (2 day I believe) and some other perks!

 

hehe