Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomingdales & Macy's starting limits

tag
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

Bloomingdales & Macy's starting limits

So last weekend I got approved for Macy's at $300, waiting for the card in the mail. Last night I called the credit department to see if they would give me a higher starting limit. The guy said no, that I need to wait 6 months and show good payments and they will give me a CLI.

Today, even though I was supposed to be in the garden (for the 3rd time now), I got approved for Bloomingdale's. Originally $300 limit. Then I received an email saying I need to call to verify some information. I just called and answered some security questions and then the guy said WELL NOW THAT YOU ANSWERED THOSE, YOU ACTUALLY GET A $800 CL!!!!! I was so excited, it's the highest one I have yet and helps GREAT with utilization down the road.

So darnit, if they will do it why won't Macy's? Aren't they the same bank? Should I try calling Macy's again? Is there a better number I can call? I believe I called 800-933-6229and was transferred to the credit department. Anyone have another number that has worked for them? Or maybe just for some reason Bloomingdale's is more generous?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales & Macy's starting limits

@new_earth wrote:

So last weekend I got approved for Macy's at $300, waiting for the card in the mail. Last night I called the credit department to see if they would give me a higher starting limit. The guy said no, that I need to wait 6 months and show good payments and they will give me a CLI.

Today, even though I was supposed to be in the garden (for the 3rd time now), I got approved for Bloomingdale's. Originally $300 limit. Then I received an email saying I need to call to verify some information. I just called and answered some security questions and then the guy said WELL NOW THAT YOU ANSWERED THOSE, YOU ACTUALLY GET A $800 CL!!!!! I was so excited, it's the highest one I have yet and helps GREAT with utilization down the road.

So darnit, if they will do it why won't Macy's? Aren't they the same bank? Should I try calling Macy's again? Is there a better number I can call? I believe I called 800-933-6229and was transferred to the credit department. Anyone have another number that has worked for them? Or maybe just for some reason Bloomingdale's is more generous?

I'd get in the garden for 6 months and then try it. Don't take unnecessary HP's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 27
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Well I found that if one rep says no I just call back and try to talk with someone else...LOL!  

I opened Macy's in October with $300 limit and I called and asked for an increase and they said no.  I was thinking for goodness sakes what in the hell can I do with $300 at Macy's that wouldn't use up every bit of that limit.  So I called back a little later and requested an increase again.  This time I got a rep that knew what they were talking about and got it increased to $1500.  So yea its doable....just gotta be a little persistent.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@new_earth wrote:

I'd get in the garden for 6 months and then try it. Don't take unnecessary HP's.

It didn't seem like the Bloomingdale's guy did another pull, but knew my limit would $800 if I answered the questions correctly. But then I am not exactly sure how it works. It just seemed like he already knew.

Message 4 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

I tried a different number and still 'no'. Very strange that they gave me such a high one for Bloomingdale's without even asking but no no no for regular Macy's. Hmm

Message 5 of 27
sybo40
Regular Contributor

Seems typical of them both.  Macy's gave me a $300 limit in January.  I bought up to $264 and then paid it off after letting $88 report.  After paying it off in March, I called last week for increase.  They gave me $1,000 (should have asked for more, but didn't want to shoot myself in the foot).  Apped for Bloomingdale's on Friday and was instantly approved for $1K (I assume that DSNB was matching whatever they had given me at Macy's).  Since I'd taken the two hits, I decided to stop while I was ahead, so I didn't ask for an increase.  I'll just let them grow and leave 'em be...THAT IS A BLATANT LIE AND I NEED TO STOP THAT!  LOL  Besides, Ted Baker was whispering to me while I was there and I had to take one of his shirts home with me.  LOL  Just give it a couple months.  Use the card, then call 'em up and ask for the increases.  You should be fine.  GOOD LUCK and congrats on the approvals!!

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: TU: 656; EQ: 607; EX: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 27
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

Well I found that if one rep says no I just call back and try to talk with someone else...LOL!  

I opened Macy's in October with $300 limit and I called and asked for an increase and they said no.  I was thinking for goodness sakes what in the hell can I do with $300 at Macy's that wouldn't use up every bit of that limit.  So I called back a little later and requested an increase again.  This time I got a rep that knew what they were talking about and got it increased to $1500.  So yea its doable....just gotta be a little persistent.

I think I would have an easier time with $300 at Macy's than I would with Bloomingdale's!

My experience was with Macy's first, they started me with a $300 limit that went to $2000 in less than six months without my asking.  I opened Bloomingdale's in January, and it's still at $300.  I am hoping Bloomie's goes up on its own by six months.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 7 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@randeman wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

I think I would have an easier time with $300 at Macy's than I would with Bloomingdale's!

My experience was with Macy's first, they started me with a $300 limit that went to $2000 in less than six months without my asking.  I opened Bloomingdale's in January, and it's still at $300.  I am hoping Bloomie's goes up on its own by six months.

Well, there is an actual Macy's location close by, a few of them actually. I prefer to shop in person and they are cheaper than Bloomingdale's. Bloomingdale's I'd have to order online and pay for shipping, and honestly most of the stuff I could never afford unless I buy one item at a time and pay it off over a few months. I will most likely at least for now only buy a small nice piece of jewelry from them to utilize the account.

Ooh, a huge Macy's increase like that in less than six months, I am excited!

Message 8 of 27
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Macy-s-AMEX-Approval/m-p/2050487#M569191

I applied in store and they gave me $1200.... see thread for more info.

Message 9 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Macy-s-AMEX-Approval/m-p/2050487#M569191

I applied in store and they gave me $1200.... see thread for more info.

that is awesome Smiley Happy I am excited that one day down the line they will offer me the Amex version. Or at least I will have a good chance of getting it. I believe Bloomingdale's has an Amex version too, which is another opportunity for me in the future. In addition to those, I have a new Loft/Ann Taylor card which after establishing a good history with, people seem to get offered the Mastercard version. I am so excited for these opportunities. Gotta garden all these first though, currently I do not get approved for any prime cards.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.