Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomingdales & Macy's starting limits

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Bloomingdales & Macy's starting limits

I app'd last month and they gave me $900. I bought something $11 and now it's in my SD. We'll see if they give me a CLI
Message 11 of 27
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

@randeman wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

Well I found that if one rep says no I just call back and try to talk with someone else...LOL!  

I opened Macy's in October with $300 limit and I called and asked for an increase and they said no.  I was thinking for goodness sakes what in the hell can I do with $300 at Macy's that wouldn't use up every bit of that limit.  So I called back a little later and requested an increase again.  This time I got a rep that knew what they were talking about and got it increased to $1500.  So yea its doable....just gotta be a little persistent.

I think I would have an easier time with $300 at Macy's than I would with Bloomingdale's!

My experience was with Macy's first, they started me with a $300 limit that went to $2000 in less than six months without my asking.  I opened Bloomingdale's in January, and it's still at $300.  I am hoping Bloomie's goes up on its own by six months.

Well, there is an actual Macy's location close by, a few of them actually. I prefer to shop in person and they are cheaper than Bloomingdale's. Bloomingdale's I'd have to order online and pay for shipping, and honestly most of the stuff I could never afford unless I buy one item at a time and pay it off over a few months. I will most likely at least for now only buy a small nice piece of jewelry from them to utilize the account.

Ooh, a huge Macy's increase like that in less than six months, I am excited!

Yeah, Bloomingdale's are few and far between compared to Macy's.  Of course, I live in New York so I really don't have an issue here, but I can understand your reluctance to shop online with them.  Just about everything I buy comes from Macy's, and I use Bloomingdale's for the occasional extravagance or for something not available at Macy's.  Although Bloomingdale's does or may offer free shipping depending on your purchase balance,  You'd have to check the website to determine what if anything they offer in that respect.

I hope you get what you want in the way of a CLI,  One thing I have learned on these boards is credit is YMMV.  There is no rhyme or reason regarding approvals, denials, and CLIs.  You just have to go with the flow.  Good luck to ya!

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 12 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

these two cards finally just started reporting for me but only on EX. Are the other two a little slower? They've been on EX for a few days now but nothing on the others :/

Message 13 of 27
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I opened mine with a purchase and it reported almost immediately.  The store limit reported to EX which was the primary pull 8 days after opening and TU/EQ reported 4 days later.  I still haven't seen an alert on the AMEX line being reported as of today.  Statement hasn't closed on the AMEX portion yet even with active usage.

Message 14 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

I opened mine with a purchase and it reported almost immediately.  The store limit reported to EX which was the primary pull 8 days after opening and TU/EQ reported 4 days later.  I still haven't seen an alert on the AMEX line being reported as of today.  Statement hasn't closed on the AMEX portion yet even with active usage.

oh ok, i guess it should be on my EQ and TU in another day or two then, thanks.

Message 15 of 27
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

You would think that Macy's would give you a CL that you could actually use there...lol! I know lots of people who's CL was shot down to $100! Seriously, what can anyone possibly do with $100 CL at Macy's...Smiley Frustrated?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 16 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

You would think that Macy's would give you a CL that you could actually use there...lol! I know lots of people who's CL was shot down to $100! Seriously, what can anyone possibly do with $100 CL at Macy's...Smiley Frustrated?

lol yeah I remember reading that before I applied and was afraid that's what I'd get. Fortunately I at least got $300. I still don't get why Bloomingdale's emailed me to call them and surprised me with a higher limit without even asking, but Macy's wouldn't budge at all. I just wonder what made the difference, very strange.

Message 17 of 27
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

I have another question about these cards, I have never had any store cards before this. Do they report every month whether you use the card or not? I used both of them and paid in full but was not able to do it before the statement cut, it was a few days after. So they are both at zero now way before the due date, but reported with the balances I had. But I am wondering, does that mean the balance I have from those first statements will remain that way on my reports until I use them again and show a lower balance? If so that stinks but oh well...

Message 18 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@indiolatino61 wrote:

I guess I've never encountered the experience with a DCL or being approved for a low limit but I can certainly understand sometimes these things do happen.  I've had my Macy's AmEx when it was originally issued as a Visa.  Same thing with my Bloomingdales AmEx.  I originally got the Macy's Visa approved for $2K back in 2008 and the Bloomingdale's Visa when I went to NY during Xmas the following year for an initial CL of $3.5K.

I use them both fairly regulary (never carry a balance-PIF) and over time the Macy's Preferred AmEx CL has grown to $12K and the store account at $8K.  Bloomingdale's Reserve AmEx is now at $14K, and the store account at $9.5K.

Message 19 of 27
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

If you want to upgrade to the Macy's or Bloomingdale's AMEX, it will be a new application.  They view them as separate products with separate guidelines for approval.  If approved, it will be a new tradeline.  Unfortunately, they don't just upgrade you to those cards.  If I remember correctly, you also have to apply in the store or over the phone for those and the online application is just for the regular store card (I may be mistaken on this, it's been a while).

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.