Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomingdales and Macy's combining limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bloomingdales and Macy's combining limits

How I wish this were possible. I plan to close my Macy's in the next few weeks but keep my Bloomingdales. Asked about combining limits or at least moving a little bit of credit from the Macy's card to Bloomingdale's, but told it was not possible. Owned by same company, DSNB Bank (division of Citi).

I already have 2,500k credit limit on the Bloomingdale's card but it would have been nice to be able to move at least a little bit from Macy's over. Don't have much use for Macy's with their high interest rates (and high shipping charges), when I could just place the purchase on any of my major cc's, and other stores offer free shipping too. I even get free shipping and free returns with my Bloomingdale's card. Will keep Bloomingdale's however as I like the card.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Bloomingdales and Macy's combining limits

Yeah, while they can be used at either store, they consider them two separate cards.  Keep up the good work on both and they will grow with you.  I have a Macy's card and it gives me CLIs when I ask for them.  I just got the Special Account for home purchases added for $5800. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

that would be awesome if they did 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

DSNB, their parent company, is out of Mason, Ohio and I think they're too conservative to combine. I want to axe the Macy's because it makes more sense to use my major cc's for any purchases. I'd rather keep major cc's with high limits and axe store cards. Plus, Macy's charges super high interest rates and one of the highest shipping charges I've seen. They're not competitive with so many retailers who are now offering free shipping and free returns. (yay, Bloomingdale's!)

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can they really be used interchangeably at either store? I did not think that was the case.

Message 5 of 12
NichelleN
Established Contributor

For large purchases with Macy's I've taken advantage of their 12 months, no interest promos. The Special Events and Club lines were great for the purchase of a mattress set and tennis bracelet. For smaller purchases, I've used the discounts but PIF. 

More than enough credit.
Message 6 of 12
NichelleN
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How I wish this were possible. I plan to close my Macy's in the next few weeks but keep my Bloomingdales. Asked about combining limits or at least moving a little bit of credit from the Macy's card to Bloomingdale's, but told it was not possible. Owned by same company, DSNB Bank (division of Citi).

I already have 2,500k credit limit on the Bloomingdale's card but it would have been nice to be able to move at least a little bit from Macy's over. Don't have much use for Macy's with their high interest rates (and high shipping charges), when I could just place the purchase on any of my major cc's, and other stores offer free shipping too. I even get free shipping and free returns with my Bloomingdale's card. Will keep Bloomingdale's however as I like the card.

Hey, maybe this is meant for you! From Macy's website....

you asked, we delivered! free shipping at fifty five dollars plus new free returns by mail. now you can return items by mail absolutely free! just print a pre addressed shipping label and send it back to us. you can also take your return to any macy's store.

9 dollars 95 cents flat fee shipping with purchases under fifty five dollars. no code, no end date.

free shipping at 50 dollars on beauty all year long. no code needed. free returns on beauty too!

More than enough credit.
Message 7 of 12
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can they really be used interchangeably at either store? I did not think that was the case.

ditto?

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately Macy's charges $10 shipping for every order, whether the order is $5 or $75. Free returns isn't helpful when you are paying $10 a pop for shipping.
Thank you for mentioning though! Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks offer free shipping in both directions - no minimum purhcase required. I've often been able to find things t rock bottom prices during Nordstrom's anniversary sales, too! Love Nordstrom.
@NichelleN wrote:

Hey, maybe this is meant for you! From Macy's website....

you asked, we delivered! free shipping at fifty five dollars plus new free returns by mail. now you can return items by mail absolutely free! just print a pre addressed shipping label and send it back to us. you can also take your return to any macy's store.

9 dollars 95 cents flat fee shipping with purchases under fifty five dollars. no code, no end date.

free shipping at 50 dollars on beauty all year long. no code needed. free returns on beauty too!

Message 9 of 12
NichelleN
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately Macy's charges $10 shipping for every order, whether the order is $5 or $75. Free returns isn't helpful when you are paying $10 a pop for shipping.
Thank you for mentioning though! Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks offer free shipping in both directions - no minimum purhcase required. I've often been able to find things t rock bottom prices during Nordstrom's anniversary sales, too! Love Nordstrom.

Gotcha. I've rarely shopped online with Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, etc. I would have opened a Bloomingdale's charge but our only local location was closed a couple of years ago. As much as I shop online with other retailers, for some reason, I'd rather shop in store for the types of purchases I've made with those retailers. Apparently I need to check out the anniversary sales, though! I love a good deal.

More than enough credit.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.