cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Cash: My Walmart uses grocery code. Does it matter?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Blue Cash: My Walmart uses grocery code. Does it matter?

OK. I realize this has prolly been discussed many times but I will rehash it and ask anyway:

I went to this site:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/NewSearch.do

...and I looked for stores within a 30 mile radius that used the MCC code for Supermarkets and Groceries (5411) and my local Walmart is on the list. In terms of the Blue Cash preferred with its 6% cash back, does this matter? I do realize that this is a Visa site but I think Merchant Category Codes are uniform. I have always heard that places like Walmart are excluded from the 6% cash back because they are classified as discount stores, supercenters or something to that effect. 

But isn't this the very code that determines the cash back category?? Of course, it's also possible that Amex (and other issuers) make a conscious exception for Walmart regrdless of any merchant codes. Does anyone know? Can anyone shed some light on this with your own experience? 

Basically, if anyone has tried this card (or another premium cash back card for groceries/supermarkets) at a Walmart, please tell me how that particular Walmart is listed on that link I posted and share your cash back experience. Thank you.

I really want to get to the bottom of this. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: Blue Cash: My Walmart uses grocery code. Does it matter?

BTW, "Discount Stores" and "Wholesale Centers" have their own codes.

Sam's Club comes up Wholesale Centers and places like Dollar General and Family Dollar come up under Discount Stores.

Walmart, again, comes up under neither.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 2 of 7
andre181
Established Contributor

My local Walmart is also on that list as a grocery store.

I haven't used my AMEX BCE at Walmart yet, but I have used my AMEX PRG Gold at Walmart and it shows up as a "Discount Store/Wholesale Store" and I didn't get double points for groceries.

And on my Discover More card, Walmart shows up as a "Discount Retail Store" and does not qualify for Discover's 5% cash back for groceries.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 7
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

So, IOW, Andre, you're telling me that regardless of that 5411 code, there's prolly no discount? 

You should make it a point to go buy some grocery item there at that Walmart and let us know. 

But chances are that the same thing will happen. There must be another indicator besides those MCC codes then. I wonder if Visa/MC has the same thing happen.

Message 4 of 7
andre181
Established Contributor

I just bought a bottle of vodka at Walmart last night on my Discover card. When it clears, I'll see what it says.

I also need to go grocery shopping tomorrow morning (throwing a dinner party tomorrow night ugh!) so I'll make a point to use my BCE and see what happens.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 5 of 7
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

My walmart purchase on my AMEX Plum shows this:

90602376 DISCOUNT STORE
DISCOUNT STORE
Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@andre181 wrote:

I just bought a bottle of vodka at Walmart last night on my Discover card. When it clears, I'll see what it says.

I also need to go grocery shopping tomorrow morning (throwing a dinner party tomorrow night ugh!) so I'll make a point to use my BCE and see what happens.

Am I the only one that LOVES this post?     Yay for Vodka, yay for Discover...  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.