cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Cash Preferred from AMEX, should I apply?

tag
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Re: Blue Cash Preferred from AMEX, should I apply?

lol. New Amex customers are hard pulls. If you have a Amex card with them already and apply for a new card it is a soft pull for denial. Its a Hard pulled if they approve you.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 51 of 54
distantarray
Established Contributor

Amex and Chase is the worst when it comes to understanding high credit limit balance. My friend has a 730 EQ Fico score but approved for only $500 Freedom card because he had only a Discover card. 3 years AAOA and closed Capital One card. So his file was thin but not bad by all means all perfect payment times. His debt was 1,400/2,500

So his utility was at 56%  .... even though he had a $3,900 Jewelery store card at zero that reports to all his reports they did not factor that into his utility or credit history in their internal scoring.

I'm about 99% sure that they would not approve you for a BCE at your current score to be honest, and personally if I saw a person with that high a revolving balance as an underwritter I would be tempted to close your Amex charge cards as well, just because high utility + applications for new lines of credit is a very bad recipe for credit stew.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 52 of 54
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone! Just an update.

I spoke to a CSR on the phone last night and asked if it was true that since I am an AMEX card member that if I apply for the Blue Cash Preferred card, and am denied, that is would only be a soft pull. He checked with a supervisor and came back and said that any person (AMEX member or not) has their credit pulled (hard pull) for any new card of theirs.

Any comments?

I was denied for this card this week, I have a gold card already.   They did a hard pull.

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 53 of 54
distantarray
Established Contributor

maybe charge cards and credit cards are under different categories in their systems?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.