Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Cash upgrade...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blue Cash upgrade...

When, in the AMEX offers, there is an offer to upgrade a card, does that equate, to a hard pull?  My wife has an offer to upgrade her blue cash card to the preferred and receive a pretty generous bonus, which I wouldn't think applies to upgrades, but it does in this case.  I just want to make sure I'm not dinging her credit report, but we have thought about upgrading with the amount of groceries we tend to buy.  I think we could make an $80-100 per year at 6% versus 3% counting the annual fee. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Blue Cash upgrade...

No, the upgrade will not result in a HP and she will keep her tradeline so she'll have better earnings with her BCP card. I'm curious as to what the upgrade offer was if you don't mind sharing.

Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No hard pull at all and the only things that will change are the name of the card and the bonus structure.  If it makes sense for your spend, by all means go for it!  Bonuses for upgrades are common (especially on charge cards), but they're usually not as generous as applying for an entirely new account with the same card.  An upgrade bonus would also prevent you (you actually meaning DW in this case) from getting a new cardmember bonus for that card in the future.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Hp! Do it!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope to the HP. I just got my BCP a few weeks ago via the upgrade option Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just did it!  Hope it all works the way it was advertised.  Can't believe they would give a $250 sign-up bonus for an upgrade. 

Message 6 of 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Amex upgrade offers are usually pretty competitive if not exactly the same as new account bonuses. Congrats!

One thing to consider with upgrades is that it will disqualify you from getting a new account bonus on that card, but not the other way around. So if you are tolerant to a HP and new tradeline, apply for the card as new first and get the signup bonus, then if you want you can pull the trigger on the upgrade offer and get a second bonus.
Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just did it!  Hope it all works the way it was advertised.  Can't believe they would give a $250 sign-up bonus for an upgrade. 

They're gambling on you keeping the card.  You'll be paying the AF and at least spending enough to earn the bonus, but likely much more.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.