cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Cash upgrade...

Frequent Contributor

Blue Cash upgrade...

When, in the AMEX offers, there is an offer to upgrade a card, does that equate, to a hard pull?  My wife has an offer to upgrade her blue cash card to the preferred and receive a pretty generous bonus, which I wouldn't think applies to upgrades, but it does in this case.  I just want to make sure I'm not dinging her credit report, but we have thought about upgrading with the amount of groceries we tend to buy.  I think we could make an $80-100 per year at 6% versus 3% counting the annual fee. 

Equifax [Citi] Score: 742; Experian [Amex] Score: 734; Transunion [Discover] Score: 729
Creditkarma scores Equifax 792 & Transunion 781
Barclay's Aviator Red -- $8,400; Discover It -- $16,500; US Bank Cash+ -- $7,500; Huntington Bank Voice -- $8,500; American Express Gold Charge Card; Chase Freedom -- $4,000; Barclay's Arrival+ $6,000; Chase Southwest Premier -- $16,000; Citi AA -- $5,500
Authorized User: Chase Freedom -- $6,500; American Express Blue Cash -- $3,500; Sam's Club Mastercard -- $6,000; CSP -- $9,000; Barclay's CashForward -- $5,000
Goal cards: Freedom Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Ink Plus
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Blue Cash upgrade...

No, the upgrade will not result in a HP and she will keep her tradeline so she'll have better earnings with her BCP card. I'm curious as to what the upgrade offer was if you don't mind sharing.

FICO 08 Scores (Oct-17): TU 810, EQ 813, EX 813

Message 2 of 8
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

No hard pull at all and the only things that will change are the name of the card and the bonus structure.  If it makes sense for your spend, by all means go for it!  Bonuses for upgrades are common (especially on charge cards), but they're usually not as generous as applying for an entirely new account with the same card.  An upgrade bonus would also prevent you (you actually meaning DW in this case) from getting a new cardmember bonus for that card in the future.

$500k+ club. | FICO 08 [Nov 2017]: EQ 743 EX 741 TU 743 | World's worst gardener.
Message 3 of 8
Valued Contributor

No Hp! Do it!
American Express PRG__American Express BCE__Chase Amazon__Chase United TravelBank___American Express Everyday

Message 4 of 8
Established Contributor

Nope to the HP. I just got my BCP a few weeks ago via the upgrade option Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Frequent Contributor

Just did it!  Hope it all works the way it was advertised.  Can't believe they would give a $250 sign-up bonus for an upgrade. 

Equifax [Citi] Score: 742; Experian [Amex] Score: 734; Transunion [Discover] Score: 729
Creditkarma scores Equifax 792 & Transunion 781
Barclay's Aviator Red -- $8,400; Discover It -- $16,500; US Bank Cash+ -- $7,500; Huntington Bank Voice -- $8,500; American Express Gold Charge Card; Chase Freedom -- $4,000; Barclay's Arrival+ $6,000; Chase Southwest Premier -- $16,000; Citi AA -- $5,500
Authorized User: Chase Freedom -- $6,500; American Express Blue Cash -- $3,500; Sam's Club Mastercard -- $6,000; CSP -- $9,000; Barclay's CashForward -- $5,000
Goal cards: Freedom Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Ink Plus
Message 6 of 8
Established Contributor

Amex upgrade offers are usually pretty competitive if not exactly the same as new account bonuses. Congrats!

One thing to consider with upgrades is that it will disqualify you from getting a new account bonus on that card, but not the other way around. So if you are tolerant to a HP and new tradeline, apply for the card as new first and get the signup bonus, then if you want you can pull the trigger on the upgrade offer and get a second bonus.
Message 7 of 8
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

graath wrote:

Just did it!  Hope it all works the way it was advertised.  Can't believe they would give a $250 sign-up bonus for an upgrade. 

They're gambling on you keeping the card.  You'll be paying the AF and at least spending enough to earn the bonus, but likely much more.

$500k+ club. | FICO 08 [Nov 2017]: EQ 743 EX 741 TU 743 | World's worst gardener.
Message 8 of 8