cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, Cheddar - thank you so much for doing all that number-crunching, that is very cool indeed!! Smiley Happy

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Blue Cash (and even more eagerly waiting to add my husband as an AU on it - I'm resisting the urge to add him as an AU on the Blue RIGHT NOW just so that his AU-ness is automatically transferred when AmEx does the product change)... as I've posted ad nauseam in other threads, I know there's no way I'd be able to make the card pay much on my own, but if I bring my husband and his $$$$ gas station spending into the mix, it'll definitely be worth it.

I was figuring all this out on the basis that just by spending as normal and treating the things as debit cards, we'll have no problem running $1600 - $1800 through them a month between us (and that's just in a normal month, not taking into account any bigger purchases), at least $800 of which can pretty much be counted on to be in the higher earning spending categories.

... so it's very good to read the above and have my thoughts confirmed that it will definitely be worth it for us - YEAHHHH!!! Smiley Happy

With the Blue Cash- At the $1600 level with at least $800 in the "higher earning spending" would give you a cash back bonus of $462, and at $1800 with the same $800 the bonus would be about $508.

Not bad.

The Chase Freedom with the same spending would net $409 on the $1800 a month figure (this includes the $50 bonus after $200). On the lower tier ($1600 in spending per month) the rebate would be $386 again this includes the $50 bonus if you wait until the award has reached $200.

So in your case the Blue Cash is truly the winner!
Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I do not know how reliable this is but I was reading a post on the internet about the change in the Chase Freedom card. Here is the address

click me

If this change is true it looks as though the $50 bonus is no longer available for the $200. anyone heard this?
Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another quick thought, strictly on a rewards basis, unless you meet the criteria cheddar previously noted in terms of spending levels, the chase freedom may be a better card. However, awards aside, Amex's excellent purchase protection and warranty extension service make it, for me at least, the card of choice.

Over the past year, I've used the blue card to repair my new latop (cost $700), which broke after 45 days after purchase. I also used it again on a new watch which I lost, 60 days after purchase ($200). Both times Amex resolved the issue in 2 days and I received credits to my account. So that $900 + rewards stomped by $250 cach back from chase.

Just food for thought...
Message 23 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are fantastic perks! Never had to use the purchase protection, but I am really glad it is there, just in case!
Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, Cheddar - thank you so much for doing all that number-crunching, that is very cool indeed!! Smiley Happy

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Blue Cash (and even more eagerly waiting to add my husband as an AU on it - I'm resisting the urge to add him as an AU on the Blue RIGHT NOW just so that his AU-ness is automatically transferred when AmEx does the product change)... as I've posted ad nauseam in other threads, I know there's no way I'd be able to make the card pay much on my own, but if I bring my husband and his $$$$ gas station spending into the mix, it'll definitely be worth it.

I was figuring all this out on the basis that just by spending as normal and treating the things as debit cards, we'll have no problem running $1600 - $1800 through them a month between us (and that's just in a normal month, not taking into account any bigger purchases), at least $800 of which can pretty much be counted on to be in the higher earning spending categories.

... so it's very good to read the above and have my thoughts confirmed that it will definitely be worth it for us - YEAHHHH!!! Smiley Happy

With the Blue Cash- At the $1600 level with at least $800 in the "higher earning spending" would give you a cash back bonus of $462, and at $1800 with the same $800 the bonus would be about $508.

Not bad.

The Chase Freedom with the same spending would net $409 on the $1800 a month figure (this includes the $50 bonus after $200). On the lower tier ($1600 in spending per month) the rebate would be $386 again this includes the $50 bonus if you wait until the award has reached $200.

So in your case the Blue Cash is truly the winner!

Yay!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Thank you for figuring all that out!!

I'd spent months thinking 'that Blue Cash must be a great card for people who actually spend a lot of money each month, oh well!', and dismissing it on the grounds that I'd be lucky to hit the $6500 at all, and even if I did, it would be in about month 11 or something. Then finally figured out that through the magic of AU-ness, it would actually work - all comes out of our joint account anyway. We have some kind of pitiful rewards scheme with our debit cards - I worked out that after about 3 years we'd probably have amassed enough points for a $5 Burger King gift card or something (seriously!). I think, all things considered, I prefer the Blue Cash! Smiley Wink
Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

miahmarie wrote:
Hey I do not know how reliable this is but I was reading a post on the internet about the change in the Chase Freedom card. Here is the address

click me

If this change is true it looks as though the $50 bonus is no longer available for the $200. anyone heard this?

I can't believe no one has responded to this. Has anyone read the link? I  am going to be sooooo bummed if this is true. I've been pushing a ton through this card for the rewards.
Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

miahmarie wrote:

click me

If this is true, this is sad news, and changes everything! lol

Wouldn't be the first time I developed something that was obsolete two days later. Smiley Happy

I'll see what else I can find on this.

Message 27 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pj1369 wrote:
Another quick thought, strictly on a rewards basis, unless you meet the criteria cheddar previously noted in terms of spending levels, the chase freedom may be a better card. However, awards aside, Amex's excellent purchase protection and warranty extension service make it, for me at least, the card of choice.

Over the past year, I've used the blue card to repair my new latop (cost $700), which broke after 45 days after purchase. I also used it again on a new watch which I lost, 60 days after purchase ($200). Both times Amex resolved the issue in 2 days and I received credits to my account. So that $900 + rewards stomped by $250 cach back from chase.

Just food for thought...

Excellent point about the warranty perks and purchase protections, Pj!  Keep in mind, though, that you get those protections with any Amex network card, not just with cards issued by Amex the Bank.  In that sense, it's a point to consider using an Amex for major purchases rather than a MasterCard or Visa like Chase Freedom, but it's not really a point in favor of Blue Cash specifically.

I have the same protections when I use my Citi Platinum Amex or my BofA Rewards Amex as I do when I use my Amex Gold Delta Skymiles.

Message 28 of 44
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Basically, I ain't rich and I can't use a personal card for business, so I won't get many rewards whatever I do.

So I have a gas card with a gas station I use for cheap gas, a Chase airline card for the introductory offer and slow accrual of miles, a low APR CU card for carrying a balance and Amex for routine use and major purchases and travel.

I take whatever rewards I get and smile! If I win the lottery it will be different.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

click me

If this is true, this is sad news, and changes everything! lol

Wouldn't be the first time I developed something that was obsolete two days later. Smiley Happy

I'll see what else I can find on this.

Cheddar I am so impressed with your break down! Like I said I am not sure if this is true. You know how reliable the internet is. I just saw that it was a recent article. It may only apply to new card holders. I am not sure.

Having your break down made me want to look more into the Freedom card. I would wait until my scores were 760 and that could be a little while, but my bonus if I use it for everything would be $314 before the $50 taking it to $364. But if the $50 bonus goes away.....well the figure is still nice compared w/ other cards.

The Blue Cash with the same spending would be $515. Where with the Clear that I love I would get around $300 and it would be the same with my Chase Amazon. So I am going to use the Blue Cash for a year and see. (I spend about $5K in tuition and books a year so meeting the $6500 is close just with school costs)

It could be worth it for me.......glad to know your card has all the cool perks as well!

What an awesome card!
Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.