cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

FYI about Freedom

It still says this on the chase info blurb about the Freedom World MC:

3% CASH BACK - Earn the most where you spend the most. Your spending habits may change every month, but you'll still get 3% cash back on your everyday eligible purchases with the Chase Freedom MasterCard. So even if you spend more on gas, groceries, and movies one month - and drugstores, utilities and department stores the next - you'll automatically earn 3% cash back in your top 3 everyday spending categories. There are 15 categories in all!1

1% CASH BACK on EVERYTHING else. You'll earn 1% cash back for every $1 you spend on ALL other purchases! Plus, we'll give you AN EXTRA $50 each time you save and redeem $200 in rewards.1

Put yourself in charge of your rewards. Whether you want cash back or points toward travel, gift cards or merchandise, it's your choice. You can change your rewards without losing a thing.2
Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FYI about Freedom

Athensguy, I see all the same things on the website too and have not received any info. of a change. Hmm...
Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

miahmarie wrote:

The Blue Cash with the same spending would be $515. Where with the Clear that I love I would get around $300 and it would be the same with my Chase Amazon. So I am going to use the Blue Cash for a year and see. (I spend about $5K in tuition and books a year so meeting the $6500 is close just with school costs)

Sounds like a good plan.  The only thing you might want to check into ahead of time, though, is whether your school takes Amex, because many of them take only Visa/MC.

Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpUpUp wrote:
Athensguy, I see all the same things on the website too and have not received any info. of a change. Hmm...

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing on the website.  It will be interesting to see if it changes soon, though, because many times CCCs are slow to update their websites with changes like this.

Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

UpUpUp wrote:

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing on the website.  It will be interesting to see if it changes soon, though, because many times CCCs are slow to update their websites with changes like this.

I figured that much as well. Though, it just seems weird that they would come out with the plus version of the Freedom card, and then do away with the who concept of the program. Isn't the the whole concept of the Freedom card that 1. You can basically earn rewards for whatever spending you want (within the many categories); that you are not limited to only gas, home improvements, etc. and 2) You have the "freedom" to redeem those rewards via points, travel, or cash, etc.

I would think that making this a point only program would be seemingly be taking away our "Freedom". Smiley Wink
Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, UpUpUp, I agree.  The "Freedom" will be a little less "free" if this turns out to be true.

BTW, you can still apply for the Cash version of Chase Freedom Plus, for whatever that's worth.

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:
Yep, UpUpUp, I agree.  The "Freedom" will be a little less "free" if this turns out to be true.

BTW, you can still apply for the Cash version of Chase Freedom Plus, for whatever that's worth.

Thanks. That's good to know.  I'll see about a product change if they do indeed switch over the Chase Freedo plus to points only. 
Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Blue Cash with the same spending would be $515. Where with the Clear that I love I would get around $300 and it would be the same with my Chase Amazon. So I am going to use the Blue Cash for a year and see. (I spend about $5K in tuition and books a year so meeting the $6500 is close just with school costs)

Sounds like a good plan. The only thing you might want to check into ahead of time, though, is whether your school takes Amex, because many of them take only Visa/MC.

They do, I used it last semester. But I used the Clear. So I am thinking if I truly use only this card and charge everything to it, then it will be worth it.

But we will see.
Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Another quick thought, strictly on a rewards basis, unless you meet the criteria cheddar previously noted in terms of spending levels, the chase freedom may be a better card. However, awards aside, Amex's excellent purchase protection and warranty extension service make it, for me at least, the card of choice.

Over the past year, I've used the blue card to repair my new latop (cost $700), which broke after 45 days after purchase. I also used it again on a new watch which I lost, 60 days after purchase ($200). Both times Amex resolved the issue in 2 days and I received credits to my account. So that $900 + rewards stomped by $250 cach back from chase.

Just food for thought...

Excellent point about the warranty perks and purchase protections, Pj! Keep in mind, though, that you get those protections with any Amex network card, not just with cards issued by Amex the Bank. In that sense, it's a point to consider using an Amex for major purchases rather than a MasterCard or Visa like Chase Freedom, but it's not really a point in favor of Blue Cash specifically.

I have the same protections when I use my Citi Platinum Amex or my BofA Rewards Amex as I do when I use my Amex Gold Delta Skymiles.

Good points Cheddar! And yes, any Amex branded card has those features (which I love), but few present the cash back value that the Chase Freedom or Amex BC offer (if you spend enough); hence, my preference. However, I agree with the broader point that it depends on each end user's spending style to determine which is best for them, whether it is a Amex BoA, Chase Freedom, or something else....
Message 39 of 44
pattycake
Established Contributor

Awesome. I have the Chase Freedom, I LOVE IT!!!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.