Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 648
Registered: ‎02-04-2008
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.



fevmlo wrote:
Wow, Cheddar - thank you so much for doing all that number-crunching, that is very cool indeed!! :smileyhappy:

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Blue Cash (and even more eagerly waiting to add my husband as an AU on it - I'm resisting the urge to add him as an AU on the Blue RIGHT NOW just so that his AU-ness is automatically transferred when AmEx does the product change)... as I've posted ad nauseam in other threads, I know there's no way I'd be able to make the card pay much on my own, but if I bring my husband and his $$$$ gas station spending into the mix, it'll definitely be worth it.

I was figuring all this out on the basis that just by spending as normal and treating the things as debit cards, we'll have no problem running $1600 - $1800 through them a month between us (and that's just in a normal month, not taking into account any bigger purchases), at least $800 of which can pretty much be counted on to be in the higher earning spending categories.

... so it's very good to read the above and have my thoughts confirmed that it will definitely be worth it for us - YEAHHHH!!! :smileyhappy:




With the Blue Cash- At the $1600 level with at least $800 in the "higher earning spending" would give you a cash back bonus of $462, and at $1800 with the same $800 the bonus would be about $508.

Not bad.

The Chase Freedom with the same spending would net $409 on the $1800 a month figure (this includes the $50 bonus after $200). On the lower tier ($1600 in spending per month) the rebate would be $386 again this includes the $50 bonus if you wait until the award has reached $200.

So in your case the Blue Cash is truly the winner!
Established Contributor
Posts: 648
Registered: ‎02-04-2008
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

Hey I do not know how reliable this is but I was reading a post on the internet about the change in the Chase Freedom card. Here is the address

click me

If this change is true it looks as though the $50 bonus is no longer available for the $200. anyone heard this?
Established Contributor
Posts: 844
Registered: ‎09-23-2007
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

Another quick thought, strictly on a rewards basis, unless you meet the criteria cheddar previously noted in terms of spending levels, the chase freedom may be a better card. However, awards aside, Amex's excellent purchase protection and warranty extension service make it, for me at least, the card of choice.

Over the past year, I've used the blue card to repair my new latop (cost $700), which broke after 45 days after purchase. I also used it again on a new watch which I lost, 60 days after purchase ($200). Both times Amex resolved the issue in 2 days and I received credits to my account. So that $900 + rewards stomped by $250 cach back from chase.


Just food for thought...
__________________________________________________
Time to clean house and get rid of CCs from bad CCCs. Opt'd Out and Paying off the Balance: BofA. Closed: Chase Freedom. Keeping: Amex Blue, Amex Costco Cash back, Citi Forward, USAA MC, USAA Amex, and PenFed Platinum Cash Back. Next up for review: Chase Sapphire...
Established Contributor
Posts: 648
Registered: ‎02-04-2008
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

Those are fantastic perks! Never had to use the purchase protection, but I am really glad it is there, just in case!
Established Contributor
Posts: 640
Registered: ‎03-28-2008
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.



miahmarie wrote:


fevmlo wrote:
Wow, Cheddar - thank you so much for doing all that number-crunching, that is very cool indeed!! :smileyhappy:

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Blue Cash (and even more eagerly waiting to add my husband as an AU on it - I'm resisting the urge to add him as an AU on the Blue RIGHT NOW just so that his AU-ness is automatically transferred when AmEx does the product change)... as I've posted ad nauseam in other threads, I know there's no way I'd be able to make the card pay much on my own, but if I bring my husband and his $$$$ gas station spending into the mix, it'll definitely be worth it.

I was figuring all this out on the basis that just by spending as normal and treating the things as debit cards, we'll have no problem running $1600 - $1800 through them a month between us (and that's just in a normal month, not taking into account any bigger purchases), at least $800 of which can pretty much be counted on to be in the higher earning spending categories.

... so it's very good to read the above and have my thoughts confirmed that it will definitely be worth it for us - YEAHHHH!!! :smileyhappy:




With the Blue Cash- At the $1600 level with at least $800 in the "higher earning spending" would give you a cash back bonus of $462, and at $1800 with the same $800 the bonus would be about $508.

Not bad.

The Chase Freedom with the same spending would net $409 on the $1800 a month figure (this includes the $50 bonus after $200). On the lower tier ($1600 in spending per month) the rebate would be $386 again this includes the $50 bonus if you wait until the award has reached $200.

So in your case the Blue Cash is truly the winner!




Yay!!! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Thank you for figuring all that out!!

I'd spent months thinking 'that Blue Cash must be a great card for people who actually spend a lot of money each month, oh well!', and dismissing it on the grounds that I'd be lucky to hit the $6500 at all, and even if I did, it would be in about month 11 or something. Then finally figured out that through the magic of AU-ness, it would actually work - all comes out of our joint account anyway. We have some kind of pitiful rewards scheme with our debit cards - I worked out that after about 3 years we'd probably have amassed enough points for a $5 Burger King gift card or something (seriously!). I think, all things considered, I prefer the Blue Cash! :smileywink:
EQ: 723 / TU: 760 (August 2009)
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,017
Registered: ‎06-03-2008
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.



miahmarie wrote:
Hey I do not know how reliable this is but I was reading a post on the internet about the change in the Chase Freedom card. Here is the address

click me

If this change is true it looks as though the $50 bonus is no longer available for the $200. anyone heard this?

I can't believe no one has responded to this. Has anyone read the link? I  am going to be sooooo bummed if this is true. I've been pushing a ton through this card for the rewards.
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.



miahmarie wrote:
Hey I do not know how reliable this is but I was reading a post on the internet about the change in the Chase Freedom card. Here is the address

click me

If this change is true it looks as though the $50 bonus is no longer available for the $200. anyone heard this?


If this is true, this is sad news, and changes everything! lol
 
Wouldn't be the first time I developed something that was obsolete two days later. :smileyhappy:
 
I'll see what else I can find on this.
 
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.



Pj1369 wrote:
Another quick thought, strictly on a rewards basis, unless you meet the criteria cheddar previously noted in terms of spending levels, the chase freedom may be a better card. However, awards aside, Amex's excellent purchase protection and warranty extension service make it, for me at least, the card of choice.

Over the past year, I've used the blue card to repair my new latop (cost $700), which broke after 45 days after purchase. I also used it again on a new watch which I lost, 60 days after purchase ($200). Both times Amex resolved the issue in 2 days and I received credits to my account. So that $900 + rewards stomped by $250 cach back from chase.


Just food for thought...


Excellent point about the warranty perks and purchase protections, Pj!  Keep in mind, though, that you get those protections with any Amex network card, not just with cards issued by Amex the Bank.  In that sense, it's a point to consider using an Amex for major purchases rather than a MasterCard or Visa like Chase Freedom, but it's not really a point in favor of Blue Cash specifically.
 
I have the same protections when I use my Citi Platinum Amex or my BofA Rewards Amex as I do when I use my Amex Gold Delta Skymiles.
 
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,183
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.

Basically, I ain't rich and I can't use a personal card for business, so I won't get many rewards whatever I do.

So I have a gas card with a gas station I use for cheap gas, a Chase airline card for the introductory offer and slow accrual of miles, a low APR CU card for carrying a balance and Amex for routine use and major purchases and travel.

I take whatever rewards I get and smile! If I win the lottery it will be different.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Established Contributor
Posts: 648
Registered: ‎02-04-2008
0

Re: Blue Cash vs Chase Freedom: Which is better? The numbers.



cheddar wrote:







miahmarie wrote:
Hey I do not know how reliable this is but I was reading a post on the internet about the change in the Chase Freedom card. Here is the address

click me

If this change is true it looks as though the $50 bonus is no longer available for the $200. anyone heard this?





If this is true, this is sad news, and changes everything! lol


Wouldn't be the first time I developed something that was obsolete two days later. :smileyhappy:


I'll see what else I can find on this.






Cheddar I am so impressed with your break down! Like I said I am not sure if this is true. You know how reliable the internet is. I just saw that it was a recent article. It may only apply to new card holders. I am not sure.

Having your break down made me want to look more into the Freedom card. I would wait until my scores were 760 and that could be a little while, but my bonus if I use it for everything would be $314 before the $50 taking it to $364. But if the $50 bonus goes away.....well the figure is still nice compared w/ other cards.

The Blue Cash with the same spending would be $515. Where with the Clear that I love I would get around $300 and it would be the same with my Chase Amazon. So I am going to use the Blue Cash for a year and see. (I spend about $5K in tuition and books a year so meeting the $6500 is close just with school costs)

It could be worth it for me.......glad to know your card has all the cool perks as well!

What an awesome card!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.