cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue From American Express Has Been Approved!!!!!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Blue From American Express Has Been Approved!!!!!

I was bored this afternoon. I decided to apply for card. I chose to apply between US Bank OfficeMax Visa Signature Card and Blue from American Express. Finally, I decided to go for Blue instead of OfficeMax Visa Signature Card from US Bank. I think the Blue is much good looking card than OfficeMax. I took a bullet to apply the card. I filled out all the info on the application and I clicked the submit button. It came back the following message:

Congratulations Ron, your application is approved!Smiley Very Happy

We are excited to welcome you to Card membership and all the benefits and services that come with your Card. You should receive your Card in the mail in the next 7 to 10 days. For your protection, your Card will arrive in a plain white envelope from Omaha, NE.

Your credit line is $7800

Once you receive your Card, activate online at www.americanexpress.com/activate and enroll to manage your account. Online account management from American Express is a fast, easy and secure way to monitor and manage your spending. 

I was shocked.Smiley Surprised I didn't think they would approve me because I was denied by Nationwide last week.

Ron. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Blue From American Express Has Been Approved!!!!!

@Ron1 wrote:

I was bored this afternoon. I decided to apply for card. I chose to apply between US Bank OfficeMax Visa Signature Card and Blue from American Express. Finally, I decided to go for Blue instead of OfficeMax Visa Signature Card from US Bank. I think the Blue is much good looking card than OfficeMax. I took a bullet to apply the card. I filled out all the info on the application and I clicked the submit button. It came back the following message:

Congratulations Ron, your application is approved!Smiley Very Happy

We are excited to welcome you to Card membership and all the benefits and services that come with your Card. You should receive your Card in the mail in the next 7 to 10 days. For your protection, your Card will arrive in a plain white envelope from Omaha, NE.

Your credit line is $7800

Once you receive your Card, activate online at www.americanexpress.com/activate and enroll to manage your account. Online account management from American Express is a fast, easy and secure way to monitor and manage your spending. 

I was shocked.Smiley Surprised I didn't think they would approve me because I was denied by Nationwide last week.

Ron. 

Congratulations Ron! Nice credit line!  Do a product change to Blue Cash after two months.   AMEX will be happy change it for you 

Message 2 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Blue Cash is not particularly useful unless you're ready to make it your go-to card and run a TON of money through it.

The rewards increments are really slow, and it starts all over again every Jan 1. It takes a good while just for everything to average out to 1%. But I've seen those with large families who use it for everything (gas, groceries, utilities, clothes, you name it) who do very well.

I ran the numbers for my situation, back in the day, and it just didn't make sense. Smiley Wink

Ah! took some looking, but here's a way of predicting when your break-even point would be:

Blue Cash Calculator

Remember, all this has to occur within a calendar year.

eta: Oh, sorry, Ron1, congratulations! Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-01-2010 04:21 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 11
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Hauling's point is well taken.  Ron 1--it depends on your goals.  If you have thought the rewards through, and the Blue works better for you, excellent.

I carry the Blue Cash because I knew I would have the charges to justify the high thresholds.  This year, PenFed is my go-to card, because when I project my charges, mathematically PenFed gives the superior return according to my goals.

Well done, Ron1 -- enjoy your membership with Amex.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
Ron1
Super Contributor

Thanks to you all. I think my Costco Amex will earn more cash back than Blue Cash. I hate tier rate like Discover Card. I don't want to worry about Amex F/R by charging a lot on the card. I usually carry my Costco Amex for dining out and gas and Best Buy RZMC Platinum for fast food (places didn't take Amex). I get the card because it is a looking card and in case my brother cancel Costco Mambeship in the future. So I have extra backup card to use. By the way, I don't rely on Amex and I always carry some other credit card. 

Thanks for all your reply.

Ron. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Ah! took some looking, but here's a way of predicting when your break-even point would be:

Blue Cash Calculator

That's interesting. I have never seen that one before, thanks! I guess, according to Amex, I'm a super-low spender Smiley Wink. The "Compare" feature even suggests I should get a Chase Freedom Smiley Very Happy.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ron1 wrote:

Thanks to you all. I think my Costco Amex will earn more cash back than Blue Cash.

Yes, the Costco Amex is really good if you don't spend very much (and are a Costco member, of course).

Message 7 of 11
Ron1
Super Contributor

I only have the card for 6 months and I already got $100 by using dining and gas purchase. I don't have to worry about F/R.

Ron. 

Message 8 of 11
Ron1
Super Contributor

I also like to use my Chase Freedom to pay utilities and I already got $50 check once.

Ron. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ron1 wrote:

I also like to use my Chase Freedom to pay utilities and I already got $50 check once.

Ron. 

all i can say is congrats!!!! cant say muc, im no where close to their family yet...lol   Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.