cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Sky 30,000, 0% Intro APR 15 months, worth it?

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Blue Sky 30,000, 0% Intro APR 15 months, worth it?

@OptimalCS wrote:
Your decision depends a lot on your contentment and credit goals.

I totally understand the desire for the card. The questions I've been asking myself lately is: is this a card I ll end up closing in a few month or is it a keeper for the next 10+ years?

I'm in a gardening mode right now. Im anxious to hit that almighty 6 year AAoA mark. I'm at 4 yrs now.

Good luck!

"May the credit protect you"

Thanks!

I think for the time being, based on the bonus and usability of the card, it's a good fit.

- 1.3% effectively on non-category/dining purchases

- 30,000 point sign up bonus ($400 in travel), which is highest for this card and highest i've seen for their "blue" products

- 0% 15 month intro period i could utilize

- lowest interest rate offered on the card

- would add an AMEX to my arsenal, which was my gameplan for the future anyways

- do have some travel plans already in motion that i could apply the points to, and plans for future vacations i can use them for

although i had no plans to add an AMEX right away, the bonus is too sweet. i'm sure if this was an offer for a visa or mastercard, i would have tossed it, mostly because i already have 3 visas, one mastercard, and i felt "6" was the right mix of CCs until my credit scores soared up into the 800s. would also be nice to start the AMEX relationship early, so when i do hit or nearly hit that magic "perfect score" goal and feel like playing the credit card game, backdating would be fantastic!

also gives me an excuse to pull that Drive for Five out of my wallet and sockdrawer Smiley Tongue this AMEX offer has really opened my eyes to how much of a useless card that Shell is to me...

Message 21 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

Definitely worth it!

I'd sign-up for this in a hearbeat.  If you don't like it, just PC to a no-fee Blue the following year.

Message 22 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Definitely worth it!

I'd sign-up for this in a hearbeat.  If you don't like it, just PC to a no-fee Blue the following year.

I'm itching to sign up right now!!! I keep looking at the paperwork, going into the RSVP application, etc. etc....just want my credit report to look as nice as possible before I apply! Got 5 cards to bring to 0 balance and report (should be done on or around July 29th), and an inquiry to drop off of experian on August 7th.

Though I do have a question: for those who check their credit reports for inquiries, AMEX seems to be pulling TU for these targeted offers on me. But I've heard they mostly, if not exclusively, tend to pull EX if one pull is necessary.

Did anyone else notice their targeted offers from AMEX were pulling TU and then the hard pull was EX? or were all your pulls on EX? if you've noticed softs on TU, did they then pull TU for the app?

Message 23 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Definitely worth it!

I'm itching to sign up right now!!! I keep looking at the paperwork, going into the RSVP application, etc. etc....just want my credit report to look as nice as possible before I apply! Got 5 cards to bring to 0 balance and report (should be done on or around July 29th), and an inquiry to drop off of experian on August 7th.

Though I do have a question: for those who check their credit reports for inquiries, AMEX seems to be pulling TU for these targeted offers on me. But I've heard they mostly, if not exclusively, tend to pull EX if one pull is necessary.

Did anyone else notice their targeted offers from AMEX were pulling TU and then the hard pull was EX? or were all your pulls on EX? if you've noticed softs on TU, did they then pull TU for the app?

Is there an expiration date on the offer, such as "apply and approved by Aug 31?"  In that case, you should wait until after Aug 7th before applying.

Not sure about TU, but for me, Amex has always pulled Ex exclusively.

Message 24 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Definitely worth it!

Is there an expiration date on the offer, such as "apply and approved by Aug 31?"  In that case, you should wait until after Aug 7th before applying.

Not sure about TU, but for me, Amex has always pulled Ex exclusively.

Yup, August 19th, so I do have plenty of time for those changes to hit my reports and still get the bonus!

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try to research and see if AMEX has been acting funky lately...i could've sworn I saw a post or two about AMEX doing one hard pull on anything but EX, but then again, I read so many posts on here I could be mixing it up with another CC company!

Message 25 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Amex SP's me on EX only. It will be a nice fit for you.
Message 26 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Hmm,. interesting! I guess I'll make sure EX and TU are up to date before pulling the trigger. May make a new thread later on to see the correlation between SP and HP from them and what bureaus they've been pulling recently. Thanks!

Message 27 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Hmm,. interesting! I guess I'll make sure EX and TU are up to date before pulling the trigger. May make a new thread later on to see the correlation between SP and HP from them and what bureaus they've been pulling recently. Thanks!

Good luck!  That's a really nice offer you've got there.

Message 28 of 30
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

there is no AF on Blue Sky

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 29 of 30
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

there is no AF on Blue Sky

Yup! So definitely a worthwhile offer!

Depending if a trend shows that AMEX will pull TU and only TU, i could app earlier, since my last inquiry on there should drop off the 27th and everything should be in tip top shape by the 30th...but we shall see! If not i'll just wait for EX to finish dropping off that inquiry and jump on it!

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.