Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Sky? Should I?

tag
SiouxsieSioux
Valued Member

Blue Sky? Should I?

Hello to everyone in the forum.

First, I would like to say that I'm finding this forum very useful. I have learned a lot. At the moment, I sent a message to the Capital One Facebook team. I'm trying to see if I can get a product change to the Quicksilver card and an increase. They said they have escalated my concerns and will be in contact with me. I would have never known about this if it were not for this forum.

So here's my question. I will be making a small trip this year. And turns out I received an offer for Blue Sky with 15,000 bonus points after making a purchase of $250 in 3 months. It's quite tempting. But since I travel once a year, I don't see this card being use much. I really have my eyes on BCP. So I'm not sure if it would ruin my chances of getting BCP. Plus, if I get a product change to the Quicksilver I get 1.5 points for each dollar. Blue Sky is more like 1.3 points per dollar. So do you think I should get Blue Sky? It would be nice to have one travel card though. Or do you have other recommendations? 

Thank you. 
My Scores(10/31/13): Expedian 795, Equifax 777, TransUnion 772
My Cards from oldest to newest: BOFA Rewards (3.5K), CapOne Platinum Quicksilver (3K), US Bank Platinum (1.4K), Chase Amazon (3K), Discover It (9K), AMEX BCP (15K), Chase Freedom (8K), CSP (11.8K)
Loans: Auto, Home
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Blue Sky? Should I?

Do you have any AmEx cards currently?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 7
SiouxsieSioux
Valued Member

I don't have any Amex cards at the moment. But I'm looking to adding one.

My Cards from oldest to newest: BOFA Rewards (3.5K), CapOne Platinum Quicksilver (3K), US Bank Platinum (1.4K), Chase Amazon (3K), Discover It (9K), AMEX BCP (15K), Chase Freedom (8K), CSP (11.8K)
Message 3 of 7
Omri
New Contributor

My wife got the same offer before we got married.

I would go for it - the main reason being that it's a no AF AmEx, and you don't have one yet. Getting an AmEx without a fee (i.e. one you intend to keep) is a great for backdating purposes. I don't think it's a great card (we hardly use it now), but $200 towards travel is a pretty nice bonus for the measly $250 spend requirement.

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 4 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

I would wait then. From my personal experience and understanding, AmEx will only send you these targeted mail offers when you do NOT have an AmEx card already. In other words, you only get to pull the trigger on an AmEx targeted offer one time, and $200 cash back on Blue Sky isn't a very good offer. AmEx offered me $400 cash back (30,000 points) for the exact same card and other people received a $500 offer.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 5 of 7
SiouxsieSioux
Valued Member

I will probably wait then, and see if I get any better offers.
Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@SiouxsieSioux wrote:
I will probably wait then, and see if I get any better offers.

Good move wait for something betterSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.