cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue envelope! So I closed all my 3 Synchrony cards!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Blue envelope! So I closed all my 3 Synchrony cards!

@Anonymous wrote:

Better yet pull your L-N and correct all the info.

This is the problem... it's generally impossible to correct any inaccurate information they have on file.

Also, giving them direct access to your tax transcript is giving them access to your minor dependent's information, including social security numbers.  There's possible medical information as well, but the dependent thing alone would be a step too far for me.

I'm not saying what's right for me should be right for all, though... we all have to do what works for our own situation.  For me, no credit card would be worth that level of intrusion... and that's assuming there's never a breach.  Since the other people (if any) listed on your tax return aren't customers, it's questionable what protections or remedies they would have if there was a data breach, which these days is a very real concern.

Just my 2¢. 

Message 11 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah idk what I would do if I received the "blue envelope". My exposure with Synchrony is $25k.... I would hate to lose this as I don't really have a game plan on how to replace them.  

Message 12 of 63
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I love my Lowes card for the 5% off and it's come in handy when Lowes screwed up my $8k order last week. As soon as they saw it was on their card they shut up and fixed it. The truth is Lexis Nexis is the worlds largest information clearing house for income, medical and insurance. There isn't anything on your tax transcript that they don't already have. You want EQ, EX and TU to have correct info so why not Lexis Nexis? All of your insurance is underwritten with info from them. If you have used health insurance then they know more about your medical records than you do. I suspect the blue envelopes are going out to people that claim 100k+ but when compared to the info L-N has it off. Send the transcript and your done. Better yet pull your L-N and correct all the info.

OK, so I just went through the whole blue envelope BS with Sync and I closed my accounts because I did not want to deal with it or share my info with LexisNexis. After that was all done I went ahead and ordered my full file disclosure from LexisNexis. It was about 30 pages long (front and back) and it had tons of info on me. Most of it was car insurance data (vehicles covered and level of coverage), every email address I've ever used, every phone number I've ever had, every address I've lived at (including property values, owners etc...). What was NOT included was the type of data that they would have gotten from my tax transcript. There was absolutely zero income info included.

I'm still glad I did not send it back to them. I also wanted to note that you can close your accounts via their automated system rather than talking to rep who will try and change your mind.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 13 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

The consumer report they give you doesn't have any medical info either. You can't see or dispute that.

Message 14 of 63
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The consumer report they give you doesn't have any medical info either. You can't see or dispute that.

Hmmm... I guess I just assumed full file disclosure actually meant full file disclosure Smiley Sad

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 15 of 63
Maddog_
Contributor

+1

Message 16 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting that the CSR would come right out and reveal that they are targeting people with incomes over $100K. If the recording of the call is reviewed they'll probably get canned.

I think the chance of a CSR actually knowing the parameters for such security reviews is between zero and zero.   So I certainly wouldn't put any trust in it, but that also means the CSR is probably safe as he/she didn't reveal secrets.

Message 17 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the replies and additional information you shared on my thread. I checked my experian credit report this pm to see if my accounts are really closed .... and yes indeed it showed CLOSED and Paid Satisfactorily but my Care credit showed "Credit line closed-grantor request-reported by subscriber" and the Lowes and Marvel showed "Credit line closed-consumer request-reported by subscriber".  I called CS and asked why my care credit showed closed by grantor and not by consumer, the CS mentioned that since I did not submit the 4506 forms they have to close it ... Smiley Sad. Now I'm really confused since my Lowes and Marvel showed "closed by consumer request and not by the grantor.  I insisted that I called yesterday to close my accounts and clearly metioned to the CS to make sure that I am the ONE closing the accounts and not the Grantor. I will call again tomorrow to dispute this with them. With this showing "closed by grantor" will this have a negative impact on my credit report especially when I apped for another credit card from another bank? Will bank frown seeing that it's closed by the grantor? I am concerned now for my other accounts/banks that they may see that my care credit was closed by the grantor Smiley Sad.. Can I dispute this and have it changed to show in all my credit bureaus? I am really not getting back with Synchrony Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I love my Lowes card for the 5% off and it's come in handy when Lowes screwed up my $8k order last week. As soon as they saw it was on their card they shut up and fixed it. The truth is Lexis Nexis is the worlds largest information clearing house for income, medical and insurance. There isn't anything on your tax transcript that they don't already have. You want EQ, EX and TU to have correct info so why not Lexis Nexis? All of your insurance is underwritten with info from them. If you have used health insurance then they know more about your medical records than you do. I suspect the blue envelopes are going out to people that claim 100k+ but when compared to the info L-N has it off. Send the transcript and your done. Better yet pull your L-N and correct all the info.

OK, so I just went through the whole blue envelope BS with Sync and I closed my accounts because I did not want to deal with it or share my info with LexisNexis. After that was all done I went ahead and ordered my full file disclosure from LexisNexis. It was about 30 pages long (front and back) and it had tons of info on me. Most of it was car insurance data (vehicles covered and level of coverage), every email address I've ever used, every phone number I've ever had, every address I've lived at (including property values, owners etc...). What was NOT included was the type of data that they would have gotten from my tax transcript. There was absolutely zero income info included.

I'm still glad I did not send it back to them. I also wanted to note that you can close your accounts via their automated system rather than talking to rep who will try and change your mind.

Exactly the same for me, except that my file is even more pages.

Message 19 of 63
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Dendom I'm so sorry this happened to you.  Smiley Sad

In another thread I wrote how a few days ago my Sam's Club MasterCard declined at Little Caesar's for a $4 transaction... with any other card I would have insisted on them trying the card a second time, but since it's Synchrony I just assumed it meant I had blue envelopes on the way and I sheepishly pulled out the ever-trusty Quicksilver so I could be on my way.

When I got home (that was a very long 15 minute drive...) I chatted with Synchrony and we figured out that it was a glitch at the restaurant (everything was fine, and I've used the card since) but I do not like having that feeling. 

I'm pleased with my current relationship with them, but I'm already looking for alternatives should they put me on the list as well.  On my drive home a few days ago I was assuming the worst, and I was already doing mental gymnastics to figure out how to replace them... LOL.

Again, I hate to hear this news, but you'll be better off without their shenanigans anyway.  Smiley Wink

Ok, I'm really curious Uncle B- what Did you get from Little Ceasers that only cost 4 bucks??!?!😁

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.