Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue pre-approval, c'monnn!

tag
billsfan14
New Contributor

Blue pre-approval, c'monnn!

Logged into my Amex account tonight and saw the pre-approval for Plat, Gold Plus, and the Blue!  I got my Gold card last week, but was denied for a Clear.

There's no way they'd now approve me for a Blue, is there? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Blue pre-approval, c'monnn!

How many inqs did you pick up on EX during your app frenzy this weekend? And how many new (under 6 months, under 12 months old) accounts show on your EX report?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
billsfan14
New Contributor

None of the new accounts are reporting yet, but my updated CL and balance is showing on my EX.

Only 2 new apps on EX, 6 within one year, 7 in two years.  Two apps become 2 years old on the 28th, but I feel like the new accounts will be showing by then.

UTL is 8% showing on today's report.

Oldest account is 14 months, average is 8.   

Actually, my EX report looks pretty good.  Better than it will in a week or two. 

Message Edited by billsfan14 on 03-23-2009 08:23 PM
Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

billsfan14 wrote:

... Better than it will in a week or two. 

That might be the gotcha with AmEx. Once they see the other new accounts, they might freak. (It seems to take so little these days.)

I got my Gold card without a problem last year, right after 5 other new accounts had shown up. I stuck with only the Gold for 11 1/2 months (no annual fee the first year), and then I got the Blue and canceled the Gold a few days later. The Blue should report with 2008 as the opening date, instead of 2009, thus avoiding the new account ding.

I do think that AmEx is considering dumping most, if not all, of their revolving cards. If I were you, I'd hold off.

If you do get one, don't get emotionally attached to it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
billsfan14
New Contributor

Yeah, that's ultimately why I set my sights on the Gold to begin with... Amex getting rid of the revolving accounts.  I'll see how everything looks in a few months.  This plane ticket I'm about to book through Amex travel would be nice to throw on the Blue and pay over a few months since it's 0% into.

I was surprised, Amex Travel had the major booking websites beat by about $200! 

They gave me quite a few denial reasons on the Clear, I really don't think I'd get approved.  Are their pre-approvals accurate?   

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't know about those "you're pre-approved" things. Back in December, I had 5 pre-approvals on my main screen, two more somewhere else, and an 8th on an e-mail. Then, poof, they all vanished except for the Plat. I didn't try off one of those when I got the Blue; I just picked up the phone and called.

Still approved for the Plat, though, along with just about anyone else whose check for $450 they think won't bounce! Smiley Very Happy (best as I can tell, anyway)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.