New Contributor
billsfan14

Blue pre-approval, c'monnn!

Logged into my Amex account tonight and saw the pre-approval for Plat, Gold Plus, and the Blue!  I got my Gold card last week, but was denied for a Clear.

There's no way they'd now approve me for a Blue, is there? 

2/21 - TU 637 EQ 643
3/21 - TU 691 EQ 711

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Blue pre-approval, c'monnn!

How many inqs did you pick up on EX during your app frenzy this weekend? And how many new (under 6 months, under 12 months old) accounts show on your EX report?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Contributor
billsfan14

[ Edited ]

None of the new accounts are reporting yet, but my updated CL and balance is showing on my EX.

Only 2 new apps on EX, 6 within one year, 7 in two years.  Two apps become 2 years old on the 28th, but I feel like the new accounts will be showing by then.

UTL is 8% showing on today's report.

Oldest account is 14 months, average is 8.   

Actually, my EX report looks pretty good.  Better than it will in a week or two. 

Message Edited by billsfan14 on 03-23-2009 08:23 PM

2/21 - TU 637 EQ 643
3/21 - TU 691 EQ 711

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

billsfan14 wrote:

... Better than it will in a week or two. 

That might be the gotcha with AmEx. Once they see the other new accounts, they might freak. (It seems to take so little these days.)

I got my Gold card without a problem last year, right after 5 other new accounts had shown up. I stuck with only the Gold for 11 1/2 months (no annual fee the first year), and then I got the Blue and canceled the Gold a few days later. The Blue should report with 2008 as the opening date, instead of 2009, thus avoiding the new account ding.

I do think that AmEx is considering dumping most, if not all, of their revolving cards. If I were you, I'd hold off.

If you do get one, don't get emotionally attached to it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Contributor
billsfan14

Yeah, that's ultimately why I set my sights on the Gold to begin with... Amex getting rid of the revolving accounts.  I'll see how everything looks in a few months.  This plane ticket I'm about to book through Amex travel would be nice to throw on the Blue and pay over a few months since it's 0% into.

I was surprised, Amex Travel had the major booking websites beat by about $200! 

They gave me quite a few denial reasons on the Clear, I really don't think I'd get approved.  Are their pre-approvals accurate?   

2/21 - TU 637 EQ 643
3/21 - TU 691 EQ 711

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

I don't know about those "you're pre-approved" things. Back in December, I had 5 pre-approvals on my main screen, two more somewhere else, and an 8th on an e-mail. Then, poof, they all vanished except for the Plat. I didn't try off one of those when I got the Blue; I just picked up the phone and called.

Still approved for the Plat, though, along with just about anyone else whose check for $450 they think won't bounce! :smileyvery-happy: (best as I can tell, anyway)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}