Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Member
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎03-21-2012
0

Bluebird from Amex?

I have three Amex products, but am wondering if I were to sign up for a Bluebird account would it negatively effect me? I think this because its a service offered through walmart and I do not want to be associate with a low level economical social status as I am not. I spend a minimum of 3k on my Amex cards a month which include two charge cards and one True Earnings CC. I have other brand cards, but am worried that if I get a Bluebird account, Amex may use the information to negaitvely effect me as it is a walmart product; that I believe is in place for low income individuals. I like the idea of this banking system and while I will keep my major account with Chase, I do like all that the Bluebird has to offer, especially the free perks. Has anyone encountered or knows of someone with a an Amex account being target negatively for having a Bluebird account. 

Established Contributor
Posts: 504
Registered: ‎08-28-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

It's too new to have any information, yet.

 

Want to try it out for us? Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,982
Registered: ‎02-09-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

[ Edited ]

TWMAZ wrote:

I have three Amex products, but am wondering if I were to sign up for a Bluebird account would it negatively effect me? I think this because its a service offered through walmart and I do not want to be associate with a low level economical social status as I am not. I spend a minimum of 3k on my Amex cards a month which include two charge cards and one True Earnings CC. I have other brand cards, but am worried that if I get a Bluebird account, Amex may use the information to negaitvely effect me as it is a walmart product; that I believe is in place for low income individuals. I like the idea of this banking system and while I will keep my major account with Chase, I do like all that the Bluebird has to offer, especially the free perks. Has anyone encountered or knows of someone with a an Amex account being target negatively for having a Bluebird account. 


 

We have a 1% here folks!  Assume the normal positions Smiley Very Happy

 

That has got to be some of the funniest stuff I've ever read - short of appbaars app spree post

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board and $500 secured CC
12/2014: 750+ scores across the board and $80k in revolving credit

Get those baddies removed!!!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,997
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

I do not see why they would, but what exactly attracts you to this card? Everything they offer, Chase has as well. You have American Express cards already so you have their purchase protection and such. I just do not see the allure of prepaid cards, except the ones with 5 and 6% savings accounts attached.

Established Contributor
Posts: 912
Registered: ‎06-14-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

Im sorry but i agree with repo-ed. The OP referencing low income individuals with Walmart then stating thats "low social status" is quit frankly ignorant. Im not trying to be a dick, but i mean c'mon, OP just insulted probably half the members here. And bragging that your too good to shop at walmart bc you "push 3k a month" through Amex is ridiculous. There are people here that push 3x that amount through Amex and still shop at walmart.


Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,997
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

[ Edited ]

gettnthere wrote:
Im sorry but i agree with repo-ed. The OP referencing low income individuals with Walmart then stating thats "low social status" is quit frankly ignorant. Im not trying to be a dick, but i mean c'mon, OP just insulted probably half the members here. And bragging that your too good to shop at walmart bc you "push 3k a month" through Amex is ridiculous. There are people here that push 3x that amount through Amex and still shop at walmart.

I did not see the post as bragging or putting anyone down. The card is indeed for low income individuals. When they released it they said so themselves. Most prepaid cards are for low income individuals who have screwed up with regular chequing accounts, so have no other option. I do not shop at Walmart either because I think everything in there is rubbish, but that does not make me a bad person. Have you not seen People of Walmart?

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,982
Registered: ‎02-09-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?


navigatethis12 wrote:

gettnthere wrote:
Im sorry but i agree with repo-ed. The OP referencing low income individuals with Walmart then stating thats "low social status" is quit frankly ignorant. Im not trying to be a dick, but i mean c'mon, OP just insulted probably half the members here. And bragging that your too good to shop at walmart bc you "push 3k a month" through Amex is ridiculous. There are people here that push 3x that amount through Amex and still shop at walmart.

I did not see the post as bragging or putting anyone down. The card is indeed for low income individuals. When they released it they said so themselves. Most prepaid cards are for low income individuals who have screwed up with regular chequing accounts, so have no other option. I do not shop at Walmart either because I think everything in there is rubbish, but that does not make me a bad person. Have you not seen People of Walmart?


We have another 1% here folks!

 

Smiley Very Happy

 

The ignorance is strong in this thread

 

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board and $500 secured CC
12/2014: 750+ scores across the board and $80k in revolving credit

Get those baddies removed!!!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,987
Registered: ‎06-25-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

LOL
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,997
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?


American Express wrote:

In an era where it is increasingly “expensive to be poor,” we have worked with Walmart to create a financial services product that rights many of the wrongs that plague the market today,” said Dan Schulman, group president, Enterprise Growth, American Express.

 


http://about.americanexpress.com/news/pr/2012/american-express-and-walmart-launch-bluebird.aspx

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,228
Registered: ‎05-10-2012
0

Re: Bluebird from Amex?

I just looked through the website for the first time.  My initial reaction is that it looks like a very well put together product. Is the only thing that makes this an "alternative" product is that it doesn't actually provide check writing?  Other than manual check writing this offers a million more features than my credit union, which "upgraded" its online system recently to one of the worst portals i've ever used. 

  • Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.