Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA $7000 CL reduction

tag
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Re: BoA $7000 CL reduction

+1
Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

Note to self: Stay far away from BofA Smiley Very Happy

+100

Message 22 of 33
Ron1
Super Contributor

That's one of the reason they sell it to US Bank.

Ron.

Message 23 of 33
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Wait.... so they called you about a product change you say you need a lower APR,.... and then they ending up reviewing your account and end up getting your credit line cut with the same APR.  Did I get that right?

I would strongly suggest OP does not liquidate their 401K because a retirement accounts, like a 401K, can not be touched in bankruptcy. 

(assuming you have some emergency savings to hold you up in case you lose your job for a couple months at minimum)

I would still suggest you pay down your  Citi and the your BOA card next, (while paying the min on your other CC balances) since they are your highest interest cards (they are costing you the most in APR fees)                                 Maybe apply for card that card 0 APR for a limited time when you get your utilization down to an acceptable level to where creditors will want to give you another card.

I think this is a good lesson for other people to really understand that a credit card company can cut your limit at any time.

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 24 of 33
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Ron1,

Only the cobranded cards are involved in the sale to US Bank.

All,

The credit card companies are watching the utilzation usage on credit cards more closely than they used too.  What seems to be setting a red flag to the credit card issuer is  high utilization over prolonged period of time. Often times but not all this does not end well for either conusmer or for the creditor.  The bad ending is the BK 7 scenerio and  in some cases it does not take much for this to happen.  The OP is on right course just keep the balances going down on all the cards.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 25 of 33
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't blame BoA. I mean, you have insanely high balances on those CC's...I really don't blame them for decreasing your credit line, to be honest. 

Not to sound rude, but it might be a good thing for you. Now I don't know the circumstances surrounding your debt, but that's $7,000 less temptation for you the way I see it. 

Photobucket
Message 26 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

I will say hello to BOA in 2014 where my baddies will fall off.

Message 27 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@singulardedication wrote:

Wow, Called BoA today and they tried to pitch a companion card their "123" card with rewards (19%), said no I need a lower interest rate than my current 23.7%.

Transferred to credit that reviewed and reduced my line from $17k to 10k.  Asked for goodwill deletion of my only 30d late from 2007 an they said only if a bank error and they will check.

That single change reduces my total available credit from 44% to 27% and probably kills my score.

I'm at a loss what to do.  This just two weeks after Discover increased me $1500.  I'm in aggressive payoff mode with reduction of debt by $2k per month leading to zero balance in about 13-14 months.  Any tips?  I'm thinking of liquidating one 401k and pay large taxes to zero out BoA but they probably reduce the CL again, but perhaps this will help if spread out.

@Anonymous  $8300 / $10k   @ 23.7%

@Cap1 $5000 / $6200 @ 14.9%

@discover $4320 / 7800 @ 7%

-----------------------------------------

@Anonymous    $8200/closed @ 30%

@Aspire $1900/closed @ 21%

Trans 723 myFICO

EquiFax 655 myFICO  (I think this is lower due to addition of one 30d late w-BoA 2007)

Both have one 30d late from 2008 Cap1

Don't do anything. Your already-high util is going higher; so be it. Your credit history is basically perfect. One 30-day late from 2008 is not really affecting your scores at this point. You're better off without it, of course, but the score impact drops off a lot after 2 years. Util is your only issue now. I assume that you're not applying for anything in the immediate future.

Shrug it off and continue with your CC debt paydown.

Your other creditors might see the change in CL and util, but chances are, they're not pulling your new scores. They're just looking at your reports via softs (if they do.)

Keep your head down, keep going with your debt payoff, and don't call any banks in the meantime. Smiley Happy

You (not just you, OP, but anyone) never, ever want to invite attention to yourself by calling in for anything at all when you have high util or anything else scary going on with your reports. I have to agree with a PP --it's not surprising that they did this, because you're carrying a ton of debt (as you know), and it isn't odd that they were alarmed to see this.

BofA is not in its happy space right now. They're selling off affiliate cards and taking other actions in an attempt to reduce their risk exposure.

I'd recommend (as I always do, because I'm a happy credit chicken Smiley Happy) to everyone, especially BofA customers, to fly under the radar if you have anything even slightly spooky on your reports. Don't call in, don't e-mail, don't play with the luv button on your account. Just pay your card(s) off as quickly as possible, and try to appear as boring and conservative as possible. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 33
namvet
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, Called BoA today and they tried to pitch a companion card their "123" card with rewards (19%), said no I need a lower interest rate than my current 23.7%.

Transferred to credit that reviewed and reduced my line from $17k to 10k.  Asked for goodwill deletion of my only 30d late from 2007 an they said only if a bank error and they will check.

That single change reduces my total available credit from 44% to 27% and probably kills my score.

I'm at a loss what to do.  This just two weeks after Discover increased me $1500.  I'm in aggressive payoff mode with reduction of debt by $2k per month leading to zero balance in about 13-14 months.  Any tips?  I'm thinking of liquidating one 401k and pay large taxes to zero out BoA but they probably reduce the CL again, but perhaps this will help if spread out.

Trans 723 myFICO

EquiFax 655 myFICO  (I think this is lower due to addition of one 30d late w-BoA 2007)

Don't do anything. Your already-high util is going higher; so be it. Your credit history is basically perfect. One 30-day late from 2008 is not really affecting your scores at this point. You're better off without it, of course, but the score impact drops off a lot after 2 years. Util is your only issue now. I assume that you're not applying for anything in the immediate future.

Your other creditors might see the change in CL and util, but chances are, they're not pulling your new scores. They're just looking at your reports via softs (if they do.)

Keep your head down, keep going with your debt payoff, and don't call any banks in the meantime. Smiley Happy

You (not just you, OP, but anyone) never, ever want to invite attention to yourself by calling in for anything at all when you have high util or anything else scary going on with your reports. I have to agree with a PP --it's not surprising that they did this, because you're carrying a ton of debt (as you know), and it isn't odd that they were alarmed to see this.

BofA is not in its happy space right now. They're selling off affiliate cards and taking other actions in an attempt to reduce their risk exposure.

I'd recommend (as I always do, because I'm a happy credit chicken Smiley Happy) to everyone, especially BofA customers, to fly under the radar if you have anything even slightly spooky on your reports. Don't call in, don't e-mail, don't play with the luv button on your account. Just pay your card(s) off as quickly as possible, and try to appear as boring and conservative as possible. Smiley Wink

+1  Amen

Message 29 of 33
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@namvet wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Trans 723 myFICO

+1  Amen

I'm in total agreement witht this response.  The reason why OP is getting a CLD from BofA is because 1) credit utilization is high, 2) you've brought it to the attention of the bank by asking for a interest rate decrease (on an already high balanced account), and 3) askng for the rate decrease which could be interpreted as being desperate for assistance.  It is what it is... move on from it... and make your goal a priority.  In time this will be behind you and you'll feel the joy of achieving a wonderful accomplishment and the banks will begging to give you a card Smiley Wink

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.