Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA 99/500 Secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA 99/500 Secured

I noticed that only certain people get offered this card and was wondering if there is a specific BoA product you apply for, and this card is the counteroffer?

Like if you apply for a BoA backed AMEX all you get is declined, with no 99/500 offer. Does that make sense?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA 99/500 Secured

Only the lucky!
Message 2 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Pappy214 wrote:

I noticed that only certain people get offered this card and was wondering if there is a specific BoA product you apply for, and this card is the counteroffer?

Like if you apply for a BoA backed AMEX all you get is declined, with no 99/500 offer. Does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure that I keep reading that it's the Plat Visa (Plat Plus?)

It seems to happen when people try for a card on the pre-approval website, get declined, and get the counter-offer.

This was a hot topic last year, but I don't remember reading any posts about members getting one since the big credit crunch started.

Anyone gotten the 99/500 counter-offer since last September or so?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 19
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Why not just call the BoA backdoor number and ask a rep? It can't hurt, and I've found the backdoor reps to be far more helpful than the frontline morons. edited to remove personal reference to BofA CSR

--PayingtheBills, I feel your pain, but we do try not to bash specific CSR's. It's generally not their fault if they're poorly trained and unable to help.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-30-2009 03:26 PM

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, what you are saying is that you get a pre-approval for the Platinum Visa and for some reason they decline you and feel bad so you get a 99/500 offer? 

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

It seems to happen when people try for a card on the pre-approval website, get declined, and get the counter-offer.

This was a hot topic last year, but I don't remember reading any posts about members getting one since the big credit crunch started.

Message 5 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Pappy214 wrote:

So, what you are saying is that you get a pre-approval for the Platinum Visa and for some reason they decline you and feel bad so you get a 99/500 offer? 

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

lol, I don't know their motivation, but that's how people were working it last year. It seemed to be all the rage back in the spring and summer, I think.

My understanding is that it is only available as a counter-offer. You can't call and say, hey, can I have a partially-secure card?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm going to close my BoA secured accounts today. The reason is they reported as secured on all CB which isn't good for your credit score. I had the accounts for 5 months and i dont want to continue.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi CC101!

It has no impact on your FICO score, at all, that your cards report as secured. Even if it did (and it *doesn't*) the cards will remain on your reports for up to 10 years, assuming they're in good standing. You've already opened, them, and BoA will unsecure in 9-12 months, returning your deposit. I'd recommend holding on to those cards and letting the transformation from secured to unsecured take course.

I used to have a fully secured BoA card, several years back. It's now an unsecured card with 8k more credit line than I started with (currently 10k).

CreditCard101 wrote:

I think I'm going to close my BoA secured accounts today. The reason is they reported as secured on all CB which isn't good for your credit score. I had the accounts for 5 months and i dont want to continue.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi LilMirth,

I like your nickname by the way, sounds so cute lolz Smiley Happy

Well I think it does impact on your credit rating because secured cards is for those who don't have credit and I do have credit such as AMEX and Credit Union Mastercard with high limits. My BoA secured card has lowest limit $500 from my own deposit. Well it was my mistake for open a secured account with BoA because I thought I could not get approve for a regular card. I guess I can keep it open for another 4-5 months or so to get it unsecured since I am in the middle of the 9 months unsecured contract.

I take your advise and keep it open =)

Message 9 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to LilMirth. I opened a BofA 99/500 a ways back and there was no negative impact to my score (per the comment).
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.