Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Better Balance Rewards Breakdown

tag
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

BoA Better Balance Rewards Breakdown

Hey Everybody,

I just got off the phone with the CSR at BoA because I just received my new Better Balance Reward's card today (woot)!

So they do something different with this card. When you call to activate, you put in the last 4 digits of card number and then you get redirected to a CSR who explains all of the benefits of the card and how to use the card correctly. He explained that this card rewards you not for spending, but for being responsible with your payments.

You will receive the $25 bonus at the end of each quarter IF you:

1) Pay balance in full each month OR pay MORE than the minimum payment due each month

2) PIF or pay more than the minimum payment on time. Do not make a late payment EVER (you will forfeit your reward)

3) Make sure you do not pay the balance off before the statement balance cuts (ie don't make a payment right after your purchase posts to the account.) In order for you to receive the $25, a balance must be posted to the account when the statement cuts. (did I explain that right? I hope so).

Some extra knowledge:

a) If you have a qualifying account with BoA (like a checking account) you will receive an extra $5. So you'll get $30 instead of $25.

b) The first 2 months you can do a BT for free and pay no interest for 1 year.

c) EMV enabled (if you ask or check the box while filling out the app online).

d) The $25 can be credited back to the account or direct deposited into your account (I'm assuming this can be any checking account, but I'm not 100% sure, I have mine going into my BoA account just to make sure I get the $30)

e) The credit of the reward is retroactive. If the quarter is from Jan-Mar. the credit to the account will be in April. And so on and so forth.

I think that's everything. The CSR was extremely friendly (although I could tell he was reading from a script, it didn't bother me) and he stopped me from making a huge error (making a payment before a minimum payment is due -- which I do all the time with my cards).

Hope this helped! Smiley Wink

Thanks Hiline for the corrections.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA Better Balance Rewards Breakdown

Seems decent, maybe I app for the wrong boa lol
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

@hutchj wrote:

Hey Everybody,

I just got off the phone with the CSR at BoA because I just received my new Better Balance Reward's card today (woot)!

So they do something different with this card. When you call to activate, you put in the last 4 digits of card number and then you get redirected to a CSR who explains all of the benefits of the card and how to use the card correctly. He explained that this card rewards you not for spending, but for being responsible with your payments.

1) Pay balance in full each month OR pay MORE than the minimum payment due each month

2) PIF or pay more than the minimum payment on time. Do not make a late payment EVER (you will forfeit your reward)

3) Make sure you do not pay the balance off before a minimum payment is due the statement balance posts

FTFY Smiley Happy

Some extra knowledge:

c) It's MC so you can get a EMV chip installed on the card.

You can get an EMV chip regardless of the payment network. I believe that any BofA card can come with EMV chips now. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Congratulations on getting the card. It's really free money! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 24
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I think I'll stick with the cash rewards that I got.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 24
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

Hey Everybody,

3) Make sure you do not pay the balance off before a minimum payment is due the statement balance posts

FTFY Smiley Happy

Some extra knowledge:

c) It's MC so you can get a EMV chip installed on the card.

You can get an EMV chip regardless of the payment network. I believe that any BofA card can come with EMV chips now. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Congratulations on getting the card. It's really free money! Smiley Happy

You're right. BoA does allow it. I think Citi is the bank that says it has to be a MC to get EMV. I definitely have EMV on my BoA Visa. Thanks.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 5 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

I have an EMV chip on my BofA Travel Rewards Visa Signature too. You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

Is there a minimum balance amount to qualify for the bonus?  In other words, what if my balance is $1.50?

Message 7 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

Is there a minimum balance amount to qualify for the bonus?  In other words, what if my balance is $1.50?

Officially, no. However, if your balance is too small they may cancel the balance or not charge a minimum. Someone posted on my blog saying he'd experienced the latter case, so I thought I'd share. To be safe I would let the statement balance be more than 2 bucks.

Message 8 of 24
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

I think a safe bet would be to at least have $5 on the card when the statement cuts. I plan to use it for my daily Starbucks (they have some awesome cinnamon rolls). 

Message 9 of 24
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

I just got this card this month, I'm using the 0% interest on a BT to pay off my Chevron card. This is my first card with BofA after years or trying, so I am excited to grow with them.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.