Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Cash Rewards vs Citi Double Cash

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

BoA Cash Rewards vs Citi Double Cash

Now that I have a Citi Double Cash card, I'm trying to decide whether to sock drawer my BoA Cash Rewards card.  I was using it mostly at Walmart for 2%.  Now that I get 2% for Citi Double Cash, maybe I should think of it as one less card to haul around.  The BoA card can't be used at Sams and doesn't get 2% at a lot of places the Citi card does.  But the BoA has a deal where you can get a bonus for putting the rewards in an account.  But that bonus used to be 20%.  But recently it only seems to be 10%.  It didn't occur to me that it might get reduced, so I wasn't in a hurry to take advantage of it.  So now I'm stuck with cash rewards on the BoA and unsure what to do with them.  And unsure whether it's worthwhile to keep using the card.

I'm thinking the best compromise might be to just keep using the BoA at Walmart and the Citi everywhere else.  And maybe in the future BoA will have some other deal such as a 20% bonus for putting the rewards in an account, or maybe discounts on gift cards or whatever.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA Cash Rewards vs Citi Double Cash

You should keep the BankAmericard Cash Rewards to use at gas stations (3% cash back), unless you have another card with better gas rewards. The Citi Double Cash will match or beat the BofA card for everything else, assuming you pay in full.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just convert it to a better balance reward card for a free 120 dollars per year. 

In order to make more than that off of the 3% gas spend at all, you would need to spend 12,000 a year on gas, significantly more than the cap. 

Message 3 of 16
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would just convert it to a better balance reward card for a free 120 dollars per year. 

In order to make more than that off of the 3% gas spend at all, you would need to spend 12,000 a year on gas, significantly more than the cap. 

+1

Beneficial to do the PC tp BBR, Yes.

Message 4 of 16
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Beneficial to do the PC tp BBR, Yes.

But they don't allow PCs anymore to that card.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying since last July to switch my Cash Rewards card to a Better Balance Rewards card. First I had to wait until they gave me my security deposit back, and once they did, they changed their policy and stopped allowing product changes. But I've been pushing for a manual override, and they said they would "look into it" and call me back tomorrow.

You're right, though, I would get more cash back with the Better Balance card in a year (without any other BofA accounts) just because I don't spend very much on this card.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying since last July to switch my Cash Rewards card to a Better Balance Rewards card. First I had to wait until they gave me my security deposit back, and once they did, they changed their policy and stopped allowing product changes. But I've been pushing for a manual override, and they said they would "look into it" and call me back tomorrow.

You're right, though, I would get more cash back with the Better Balance card in a year (without any other BofA accounts) just because I don't spend very much on this card.

Trust me, they're not going to PC the card to BBR. I wish it were so but it's not.

Message 7 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The BBR would be more beneficial in this case, but if you can't PC, I don't know if it's worth a HP.

However, be careful. I wouldn't close your Cash Rewards entirely (and I almost always advocate for closing unused accounts). You can use it for gas if nothing else. I only am saying to be cautious because Citi has a long track record of nerfing cards, and although everyone thinks I'm crazy, I believe Double Cash will eventually get nerfed. I'm sure nobody predicted the Cash+ would get nerfed when it came out, but it has been nerfed to oblivion. CSP has also been nerfed to the point where it is now a toss up if people find it worthwhile.

Point is - don't put all your eggs in one basket Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

. I'm sure nobody predicted the Cash+ would get nerfed when it came out, but it has been nerfed to oblivion. 

Flyertalk moderator on the cash plus Jun 11, 2012

I am not enthusiastic about cash rewards because they are not sustainable. The card issuer can buy points or miles wholesale, but we can redeem them at retail value. There is no such arbitrage when offering cash back. If the cards don't attract sufficient 1% spend the program will be changed. Jump on this one sooner rather than later.

Message 9 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I stand corrected! Still, Citi loves to Nerf cards.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.