Did you mean: 

BoA | Citi | CapOne | AMEX CLI request questions

tag
h4ldol
Contributor

BoA | Citi | CapOne | AMEX CLI request questions

Hi folks, I have yet another question for all the credit experts here:

1. Bank of America

- Doing HP for CLI requests nowadays from what I hear.  Correct?

- Any difference (chance of success, HP vs SP, etc.) between online or phone CLI requests?

- How long should I wait to request a CLI for a new card?  And then between requests?

2. Citibank

- Also doing HP for CLI requests?

- Online vs phone requests?

- Still 6 months before CLI request on a new card?

3. AMEX

- Would it be too much to request at 61 days a CLI request of $20k for a new card that started at $10k CL?    Or better to be more conservative and start with $10k > $15k at 61 days, then request $15k to $25k at 6 months after the first request?

- Will a CLI request of $25k likely lead to a FR?  Does a request for $24,999 really help avoid that from happening?

4. Capital One

- I hear they don't usually do customer requested/initiated CLI, but when I called to request one several weeks ago they did do a SP (although my request was denied).  So perhaps they do take requests sometimes?

- I plan on requesting a $6,900 > $10k CLI when my score improves in 8 months (hopefully to the upper 700s or above after a 120 day late drops off finally).

And a general question:

- Does doing a PC 'reset' the 6 month (or however long) requirement between requests for most banks?  That is, should I request a CLI before doing a PC if the card is getting close to  6 months old?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA/Citi/CapOne/AMEX CLI request questions

@h4ldol wrote:

1. Bank of America

Yes. Hard pull for CLI no matter what.

- Any difference (chance of success, HP vs SP, etc.) between online or phone CLI requests?

Not that I'm aware of. Online CLI is not instant. A manual reveiw is still needed for online CLI.

- How long should I wait to request a CLI for a new card?  And then between requests?

Six months. No idea.

2. Citibank

Only if you do it through phone or insist on high CLI online.

Online. The website will counter your demand if you asked too much. Accepting this counter offer (or if the website approved your demand right away) means SP only.

Yes. You cannot request CLI before six months of usage and payment history.

3. AMEX

- Would it be too much to request at 61 days a CLI request of $20k for a new card that started at $10k CL?    Or better to be more conservative and start with $10k > $15k at 61 days, then request $15k to $25k at 6 months after the first request?

IDK. Don't have AMEX revolver right now.

- Will a CLI request of $25k likely lead to a FR?  Does a request for $24,999 really help avoid that from happening?

4. Capital One

- I hear they don't usually do customer requested/initiated CLI, but when I called to request one several weeks ago they did do a SP (although my request was denied).  So perhaps they do take requests sometimes?

They denied you because it is a customer requested CLI. They were merely checking on the computer to see if there was any offer available on your account. Your denial letter will exactly states "Capital One is not accepting customer initiated CLI at this moment".

- I plan on requesting a $6,900 > $10k CLI when my score improves in 8 months (hopefully to the upper 700s or above after a 120 day late drops off finally).

No can do. Capital One will auto CLI when they are in the mood. Unfortunately they are grumpy 24/7/365.

And a general question:

- Does doing a PC 'reset' the 6 month (or however long) requirement between requests for most banks?  That is, should I request a CLI before doing a PC if the card is getting close to  6 months old?

In general, PC has no bearing to CLI request. Keep in mind if you are PC into a card that has higher AF or higher APR you can only do so after having your existing card for 13 months due to CARD Act.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 14
h4ldol
Contributor

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply -- it's extremely helpful!  Sucks about BoA always doing HP for CLI requests, and Cap One not allowing it at all (even for co-branded cards I assume).  But I'm glad to hear about Citi not doing HP with online requests generally, as I had read somewhere that they were.  

A few follow-up/additional questions for you or anyone if you get a chance:

1. BoA - When they HP do they generally pull CR from just one bureau or multiple bureaus (like Cap One apparently does with its triple HPs)?

2. Citi - Do you think asking for a $8,300 > $15,000 CLI at 6 months would lead to a HP?  My wife recently requested an increase from $6k to $15k (actually, it was me who requested it!) with the online request form and it got held up for review stating that income verification was needed.  I dunno yet if there was a HP or not (presumably there was).

Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@h4ldol wrote:

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply -- it's extremely helpful!  Sucks about BoA always doing HP for CLI requests, and Cap One not allowing it at all (even for co-branded cards I assume).  But I'm glad to hear about Citi not doing HP with online requests generally, as I had read somewhere that they were.  

A few follow-up/additional questions for you or anyone if you get a chance:

1. BoA - When they HP do they generally pull CR from just one bureau or multiple bureaus (like Cap One apparently does with its triple HPs)?

Thanks!

Single pulled my TU. I thought it was an odd choice when i saw it the following day. Cap 1 is quite possibly the only fools who do that nonsense. BOA asked me to wait 3-4 months after having the card opened for just a month when i asked for a CLI so you should wait IMO.

Message 4 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@h4ldol wrote:

1. Bank of America

Yes. Hard pull for CLI no matter what.

Not that I'm aware of. Online CLI is not instant. A manual reveiw is still needed for online CLI.

Six months. No idea.

2. Citibank

Only if you do it through phone or insist on high CLI online.

Online. The website will counter your demand if you asked too much. Accepting this counter offer (or if the website approved your demand right away) means SP only.

Yes. You cannot request CLI before six months of usage and payment history.

3. AMEX

4. Capital One

They denied you because it is a customer requested CLI. They were merely checking on the computer to see if there was any offer available on your account. Your denial letter will exactly states "Capital One is not accepting customer initiated CLI at this moment".

No can do. Capital One will auto CLI when they are in the mood. Unfortunately they are grumpy 24/7/365.

And a general question:

In general, PC has no bearing to CLI request. Keep in mind if you are PC into a card that has higher AF or higher APR you can only do so after having your existing card for 13 months due to CARD Act.

Thanks!

I would pretty much rule Cap1 dead but still alive barely. Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 14
h4ldol
Contributor

@AF_23 wrote:

Single pulled my TU. I thought it was an odd choice when i saw it the following day. Cap 1 is quite possibly the only fools who do that nonsense. BOA asked me to wait 3-4 months after having the card opened for just a month when i asked for a CLI so you should wait IMO.

Cool, thanks!

Message 6 of 14
stefanc
Regular Contributor

I have always done Citi CLI on the phone - I always ask that it to NOT be a hard pull. I've given them the number I wanted for CLI and answered the income etc. questions.

I have never had a hard pull from citi doing it this way, and literally on half my requests they have given me more than I even asked for (once by a few thousand)!

Of course YMMV, but over the last year (and as late as a month ago) that has been my experience.

Message 7 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@stefanc wrote:

I have always done Citi CLI on the phone - I always ask that it to NOT be a hard pull. I've given them the number I wanted for CLI and answered the income etc. questions.

I have never had a hard pull from citi doing it this way, and literally on half my requests they have given me more than I even asked for (once by a few thousand)!

Of course YMMV, but over the last year (and as late as a month ago) that has been my experience.

So all you did was ask for it not to be HP and they accepted?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 14
stefanc
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@stefanc wrote:

I just basically said I'd like to request a CLI, but only if it is a soft pull and I would like to stop it before it got transferred to an underwriter or becomes a hard pull.

They have always said they would know if it needs to go to a hard pull or not, and be able to stop it - and so far it has worked that way!

I'm sure this is a big YMMV, but in the last few years I've gotten half a dozen or so and it has always worked out. This has not worked out so well with some other banks (hard pull anyway), but so far with citi it has worked out every time -- for me -- gotta stress that YMMV part!

Message 9 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@stefanc wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@stefanc wrote:

I just basically said I'd like to request a CLI, but only if it is a soft pull and I would like to stop it before it got transferred to an underwriter or becomes a hard pull.

They have always said they would know if it needs to go to a hard pull or not, and be able to stop it - and so far it has worked that way!

I'm sure this is a big YMMV, but in the last few years I've gotten half a dozen or so and it has always worked out. This has not worked out so well with some other banks (hard pull anyway), but so far with citi it has worked out every time -- for me -- gotta stress that YMMV part!

Sweet, that is awesome!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.