Did you mean: 

BoA Closed Both of my Cards!

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: BoA Closed Both of my Cards!

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This makes me feel a lot better!! So I can just keep paying them $100 or so a month and it will not go to collections if not paid in 30 days?

You still need to make your monthly payment with them as you were before, you just cannot charge anything else to those account. I would call the number they provided you and DOUBLE CHECK that your original minimum payment is still fine just to be on the safe side. Also verify with them the reason for closing the account, just to make sure it's not fraud!

+1

Message 11 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I did have the cards close to maxed, but I was still in my 0% APR period and was going to make a large chunk of change towards it when the promotion was over. The reason for 100 point drop is clear! They closed my accounts and FICO is viewing them differently somehow. Just not sure how they are scored. I think I read somwhere that it considers them 100% maxed if they are closed. It also probably hit my AAoA as well.

I've read a lot of threads where they won't seem to budge on reopening accounts like this. Part of me wants to call them and let them know I have the cash in the bank to pay, but if they want to be like that, I'll keep my business with NFCU.

Message 12 of 80
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This makes me feel a lot better!! So I can just keep paying them $100 or so a month and it will not go to collections if not paid in 30 days?

As long as you make at least min payment nothing to worry about as far as collections. Good Luck with your credit journey! It's all a learning process learning from our mistakes and choices and moving forward stronger because of it.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 13 of 80
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I did have the cards close to maxed, but I was still in my 0% APR period and was going to make a large chunk of change towards it when the promotion was over. The reason for 100 point drop is clear! They closed my accounts and FICO is viewing them differently somehow. Just not sure how they are scored. I think I read somwhere that it considers them 100% maxed if they are closed. It also probably hit my AAoA as well.

I've read a lot of threads where they won't seem to budge on reopening accounts like this. Part of me wants to call them and let them know I have the cash in the bank to pay, but if they want to be like that, I'll keep my business with NFCU.

The problem is not limited to one lender. Others may follow when they see drop. Including nfcu. That's why you need to stop this wildfire. Pay. If you can. Maybe they reopen. Just explain you were in 0apr timeframe. And thought It was ok. Hmmm 

Message 14 of 80
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem is not limited to one lender. Others may follow when they see drop. Including nfcu. That's why you need to stop this wildfire. Pay. If you can. Maybe they reopen. Just explain you were in 0apr timeframe. And thought It was ok. Hmmm 

+1 - Other lenders often SP and if they see that they could get worried as well. Best of luck!

Message 15 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

None of this makes any sense. Barclays...YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT...gave me a CLI of $1,000.00 this morning. If anyone is going to be spooked, it'd be Barclays. It's not like I have bad credit, they must have gotten upset I kept a high balance.

Message 16 of 80
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 - Other lenders often SP and if they see that they could get worried as well. Best of luck!

+2 Very possible.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 17 of 80
Luscher
Valued Contributor

The only reason your score would have dropped 100 points is if util sky rocketed or you have a new baddie reported. The closing of 2 cards will not drop your score since they will continue to report for up to 10 years. Call BOA tomorrow and pull your reports to see if they are reporting something bad.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 18 of 80
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

None of this makes any sense. Barclays...YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT...gave me a CLI of $1,000.00 this morning. If anyone is going to be spooked, it'd be Barclays. It's not like I have bad credit, they must have gotten upset I kept a high balance.

Yes. That will do it as well. It's all about risk to bank. And your score alone is not only factor. Boa. Not barclays. Feel you are too risky if you continue to carry extreme high balance. 

Message 19 of 80
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Almost surely they closed because you were maxed out and only making minimum payments.

Even if you want to take advantage of 0% offers, I'd recommend against maxing out or even getting close to it.  And I'd make larger than the minimum payment each month (especially if you're close to your max limit).

What I'd do now is pay a decent portion of it down if you can so that you don't scare your other lenders.  You don't have to pay the whole thing, but I'd at least get it under 75% or so.

Also call Bank of America immediately and verify the payment terms, minimum payment, interest (i.e. will it still be 0% or are there terms somewhere that say if the account is closed the interest rate changes or something), etc.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 20 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.