Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Credit Card Application Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA Credit Card Application Question

I am getting ready to apply for a BoA credit card, but am not sure what card I want to apply for. (I have my primary checking/savings accounts with them, as well as retirement accounts. I expect a credit card with them would grow nicely over time)

If I apply for the Visa Signature Cash Back Card they are currently offering, but am denied, would I be able to apply for one of the lesser cards (plain-vanilla Visa) using the same credit pull? I am trying to avoid needless inquiries.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA Credit Card Application Question

What was the reason you were denied for?  Lack of credit history?  You might try opening a secured card.

Message 2 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

If you were offered a credit limit of $5000 or above, you get Visa Signature.

If it were $5000 or less, it is a Platinum Visa.

Message 3 of 8
MagicShot
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am getting ready to apply for a BoA credit card, but am not sure what card I want to apply for. (I have my primary checking/savings accounts with them, as well as retirement accounts. I expect a credit card with them would grow nicely over time)

If I apply for the Visa Signature Cash Back Card they are currently offering, but am denied, would I be able to apply for one of the lesser cards (plain-vanilla Visa) using the same credit pull? I am trying to avoid needless inquiries.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Whats your credit history like?

Do you have any CC, or Loans at all and. Explain your credit profile we can give you some advice.

I got their signature visa but I have a diverse credit profile. so some info will help us help you! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the responses. I have not applied yet, so I haven't had a chance of getting denied.Smiley Tongue

I currently have three credit cards:

Bank VISA           c.a.1k limit                      opened early 2010

Bank VISA           c.a. 1k limit                     opened early 2010

AMEX Zync          c.a. 5k high balance     opened mid/late 2010 (backdated to c.a. '03)

I am a student so I have been working on building my credit (I got both bank cards the month I turned 18). My last credit score was around 730 from TU (real FICO score, not a FAKO). A balance was reporting on all of my cards so that may have lowered the score (I pay everything off at the end of each month). I have made sure to pay off my cards before the statement cuts the last 2 months to maximize my score before I apply. I have around 5 inquiries (but only 2 within the last year). My credit report is completely clean, and I have some student loans reporting.

Although my personal income is low (I am still supported by my parents until I graduate), I have a good amount of assets in my name with BoA (Savings & Merril accounts). I hope my banking history with them can get me a decent card limit despite my low income.

It was my understanding that I apply for a card and am either accepted or denied. Are you saying they offer me whatever product they think is the best fit regardless of which card I apply for?

Message 5 of 8
dp321
Regular Contributor

It's just a two tier system that Visa uses and they provide different benefits. If you apply for the cash back card from BOA, you will get a cash back card if they accept you. But it can be a cash back visa signature or a cash back platinum visa. If you are only interested in earning some cashback, they are the same. Basically you get a higher-end version of the same card if you are accepted for a credit line higher than $5000. If you currently have a credit card with BOA, try calling them and ask for a product change. Easier if one or your current credit card is some plain old visa from BOA. 

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification on the two tier system. I do not currently have a BoA VISA, so I will apply for the cash back card (and will most likely get a limit under 5k).

Another quick question. What exactly do they mean by "your income", "other income", and "total household income". I assume "your income" would be my salary from internships, "other income" would include investment income (?). Can I list my parents income under total household income?

Message 7 of 8
MagicShot
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the clarification on the two tier system. I do not currently have a BoA VISA, so I will apply for the cash back card (and will most likely get a limit under 5k).

Another quick question. What exactly do they mean by "your income", "other income", and "total household income". I assume "your income" would be my salary from internships, "other income" would include investment income (?). Can I list my parents income under total household income?

Other income would be like a business you do besides your main job, rental property ect, household imcome comes to play more if your mairred using your spouces imcome to pay for bills ect..

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.