Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Product Change Difficulties - SUCCESS

tag
CluelessCredit
Valued Member

BoA Product Change Difficulties - SUCCESS

I currently have the BoA Accelerated Rewards Amex.  I want to do a product change to the cash back version of this card: BoA Accelerated Cash Rewards Amex.  Every time I talk to a Credit Anaylst they tell me such a PC is not possible for reasons that no one can actually explain.  I keep being told I will have to do a whole new app and either 1) Keep both cards or 2) Do away with the regular Rewards cards and lose all the credit history associated with it.  I've seen where people have had success in doing this but the posts are showing their years.  So my questions:

1.  Has anyone done this PC  recently?

2.  Is there something I'm not saying that serves as the "magic phrase," in actually getting the ball rolling?

I just really don't understand why this particular PC is so difficult.  They are both in the AMEX family and only the reward structure changes.  

P.S. I've had the card since 09.  It started as a secured BoA visa.  In 2010 I PC'ed it to an AMEX Acc Rewards because they would not allow the AMEX Acc CB PC.  My last Fico Score Watch put my score at 762.  The CL on the card is 5k.

Fico Score: 805
BoA Accelerated Cash Rewards AMEX - $15,000
Chase Freedom Visa - $7,810
Discover IT - $24,000
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - $29,900
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MAstudent07
Contributor

Re: BoA Product Change Difficulties

Your experience was my experience two months ago. I have the accelerated points and wanted to pc to the cash rewards-no go for me either. Their explanation was that the "computer would not allow them too." I said "thanks and hung up."

Anyone have a concrete answer because BOA's answers are always vague. Smiley Indifferent

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 2 of 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

Keep trying.  I called and asked to have my Visa Platinum PC'd to the Accelerated Cash Rewards.  I was told that option was not available.  I said thank you and hung up.  I called right back and asked if I could PC my Visa Platinum to the Accelerated Cash Rewards.  The CSR told me that they couldn't do the Cash Rewards but could PC it to the regular rewards.  10 days later, the Accelerated Cash Rewards showed up in my mailbox. Smiley Surprised

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i called on the 1st of july to get my basic plat. card converted in to cash rewards didnt have no problem they requested and it got approved ... waiting for new card now

Message 4 of 9
CluelessCredit
Valued Member

Well, since making this post I've called BoA once per day to attempt the change and yesterday (7/7/11) I called early in the morning and the guy said no problem.  He said I would have to cash out my current rewards points and then tried to get me to agree to the wrong card (Cash Rewards Visa).  I stopped the convo and stated that I clearly wanted the Cash Rewards Amex.  He put me on hold and came back and said "okay you'll now have the Cash Rewards Amex - account number will change, expect the card in 2 - 3 weeks...blah blah blah."  So, assuming it is the right card I should have it pretty soon.  Here's hoping!  I'll update with details when the card arrives.

Discover IT - $24,000
Message 5 of 9
MAstudent07
Contributor

Please do update Clueless, because if you are successful then I can ask for pc again in the future. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and the rest of us.

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 6 of 9
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

same thing with me

called twice to have my basic plat visa do a pc. they said it was not possible.

a month later, tried it thru the phone again, and the lovely csr said no problem. waiting for the card. i guess at first i though it would cause a problem since I was changing from a annual fee card of 29 per year to a non-annual fee one.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 7 of 9
Ron1
Super Contributor

Last May, I asked to convert my BofA WP Visa Signature to BofA Accelerated Rewards Visa over the phone. They pulled hard inquiry from EXP. I got to keep the same APR of my old card. They might have changed their policy not allowing pc.

Ron.

Message 8 of 9
CluelessCredit
Valued Member

And it is official.  The PC is possible, and the card actually arrived early Smiley Surprised.  My online account had been showing Accel Cash Reward AMEX, but I wanted to wait to see that I got the right card to be sure.  So going from Accel Rewards to Accel Cash Rewards while difficult is not totally impossible.  And you do not have to do a complete re-application and lose history.  Just luck of the draw with the rep you get.  I will say that from the conversation, it seems that once they cash out your current rewards points they are duty bound to give you pretty much whatever PC you want ; within reason.  Good luck all!

Discover IT - $24,000
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.