Established Contributor

Re: BoA: Received 'invitation' to upgrade to signature visa

At least it's an opt-in. My bank sent me al letter that I would get a new card with a new number because of an upgrade to a Visa Signature. I would have to call them if I didn't want the card.
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

The "upgrade" is from the :"Platinum" benefits to the "Signature" benefits. (Also from CL to NPSL.)

Reference:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html

It really is an upgrade. Something I'd consider, txjohn. Time to move some of those CL's off your CBR! 

I understand the "jargon" difference, and the "OPEN" vs. "REVOLVING.  But no-preset spending limit is almost a deceptive practice.  It just means the limit is hidden and semi-secret....but we all know that a limit exists.

I'm not sure what/why the OP needs to move the CL off their CR.  What is the advantage here?  FICO will still factor CL by using high balance against balance anyway, as I understand the signature/npsl deal.

I can see swapping if the benefits or terms are better in someway or provide some value that represent an advantage that can/will be used.  But I'm not sure I understand at this point what significant advantages there are.  My World MC and BoA Rewards Visa seems to have all the benefits provided that the link to "Signature" show. 

IMO Smiley Happy 

Message Edited by txjohn on 01-21-2010 05:13 AM

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Established Contributor

txjohn wrote:
FICO will still factor CL by using high balance against balance anyway, as I understand the signature/npsl deal.

I think the older TU FICO model that you can buy does it this way (lenders get a different one). The newer FICO models disregard Signature cards in debt ratio calculations.

But yes, the main benefits of a Signature card are for the bank itself. They usually get higher merchant fees.

Regular Contributor

I called up the CSR and had my plat plus upgraded to the Visa Signature.  It offers a rewards program, and I've been looking for a Signature to replace another card charging me a yearly fee.  I use the Sig mostly for the warranty registration service.

I asked the CSR if my old credit limit would be the reported limit for the Signature card, not my past high balance.  He told me it would report the old limit... We shall see... 

Senior Contributor

anevilpetingzoo wrote:

I asked the CSR if my old credit limit would be the reported limit for the Signature card, not my past high balance.  He told me it would report the old limit... We shall see... 

Don't be too surprised when this turns out not to be true. It's a NPSL card.

Senior Contributor

Ulan wrote:

txjohn wrote:
FICO will still factor CL by using high balance against balance anyway, as I understand the signature/npsl deal.

I think the older TU FICO model that you can buy does it this way (lenders get a different one). The newer FICO models disregard Signature cards in debt ratio calculations.

I just wanted someone else to say it...

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.