Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Secured Rewards

tag
junojunowhat
Established Member

BoA Secured Rewards

I just got off the phone with BoA using the backdoor number I found on this forum, and wanted to let everyone know about my experience.  I called because I currently have a secured card with a $300 limit that I got a little over a year ago to begin the rebuilding process. Since then I've gotten 2 other cards (Discover It and Chase Freedom) and no longer had any use for the BoA card, so I wanted to see if I could have it unsecured and PC'd to 123 Rewards. After a brief conversation with the credit anlyst I was told that there was no way to request graduation without a HP, BUT she could add the 123 cash back rewards to my secured account. This may be something that is commonly known, but I didn't know, so I thought I would share with you guys. 

AmEx Hilton HHonors - $18,000 | Discover It - $6,500 | Chase Freedom - $2,000 | BoA Cash Rewards - $1,500 | PayPal Credit - $1,797
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: BoA Secured Rewards

@junojunowhat wrote:

I just got off the phone with BoA using the backdoor number I found on this forum, and wanted to let everyone know about my experience.  I called because I currently have a secured card with a $300 limit that I got a little over a year ago to begin the rebuilding process. Since then I've gotten 2 other cards (Discover It and Chase Freedom) and no longer had any use for the BoA card, so I wanted to see if I could have it unsecured and PC'd to 123 Rewards. After a brief conversation with the credit anlyst I was told that there was no way to request graduation without a HP, BUT she could add the 123 cash back rewards to my secured account. This may be something that is commonly known, but I didn't know, so I thought I would share with you guys. 

why wouldn't you want to let them do a HP and unsecure it if you have received Discover and Chase I would think you are 100% for unsecure... and most have luck then calling back after conversion and with same pull getting VERY large CLI.

Message 2 of 18
junojunowhat
Established Member

I may do that....however, it's set to be reviewed for grauation with a SP in July, and I don't really mind waiting. My overall util is around 7% so having a huge CL isn't really an issure for me. I just figure limiting HPs is worth waiting until July.

AmEx Hilton HHonors - $18,000 | Discover It - $6,500 | Chase Freedom - $2,000 | BoA Cash Rewards - $1,500 | PayPal Credit - $1,797
Message 3 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@junojunowhat wrote:

I may do that....however, it's set to be reviewed for grauation with a SP in July, and I don't really mind waiting. My overall util is around 7% so having a huge CL isn't really an issure for me. I just figure limiting HPs is worth waiting until July.

thought you have had it for over a year?

BofA graduates cards in as little as 9 months!

Message 4 of 18
junojunowhat
Established Member

I got it in July of 2012, however in July of 2013 when it was reviewed to graduate the BoA card and Discover card were bother maxed out, so it didn't graduate due to high utilization. I didn't really know what I was doing then. Anyway...it's reviewed again once a year, so come July I feel confident that it will graduate without wasting a HP.

Message 5 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@junojunowhat wrote:

I got it in July of 2012, however in July of 2013 when it was reviewed to graduate the BoA card and Discover card were bother maxed out, so it didn't graduate due to high utilization. I didn't really know what I was doing then. Anyway...it's reviewed again once a year, so come July I feel confident that it will graduate without wasting a HP.

the other plus to do the hp for unsecuring is that if they unsecure it most of the time they issue a CLI of $500... and if you want it raised in july after that happens, it will still be a hp.

Message 6 of 18
junojunowhat
Established Member

I didn't realize that....think I'll call them back and try to have it unsecured now. Thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@junojunowhat wrote:

I didn't realize that....think I'll call them back and try to have it unsecured now. Thanks for the advice.

don't be surprised if you have to do the unsecure and then wait a day and then talk to the unsecured credit analysts for a bigger better CLI... some have mixed results and do it in stages over a few days.

unsecure

rewards change

cli

some have done all 3 at once... just depends who you get on the phone I guess. but i would be asking to cli higher then chase and discover because you have way more experience with this bofa!!

Message 8 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@junojunowhat wrote:

the other plus to do the hp for unsecuring is that if they unsecure it most of the time they issue a CLI of $500... and if you want it raised in july after that happens, it will still be a hp.

Not in my experience.

If you request it early it can / will be a HP as explained; if you are denied for unsecuring and you are reconning it that may trigger a HP (happened with me for a stupid reason, I deviated in my behavior to try to max out the card to set the high water mark, bad Rev, bad!) but otherwise it simply unsecures and the limit may change at that point anyway.

I wouldn't push it early as did happen in some cases (YahComb comes to mind) but I'd always tack on the rewards: it's why it's the best secured card on the planet, but pushing one's markers on early graduation may wind up in uncessary pain.  Ostensibly 3 more months can be waited to get the security deposit back in most cases,

        
Message 9 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@junojunowhat wrote:

Not in my experience.

If you request it early it can / will be a HP as explained; if you are denied for unsecuring and you are reconning it that may trigger a HP (happened with me for a stupid reason, I deviated in my behavior to try to max out the card to set the high water mark, bad Rev, bad!) but otherwise it simply unsecures and the limit may change at that point anyway.

I wouldn't push it early as did happen in some cases (YahComb comes to mind) but I'd always tack on the rewards: it's why it's the best secured card on the planet, but pushing one's markers on early graduation may wind up in uncessary pain.  Ostensibly 3 more months can be waited to get the security deposit back in most cases,

it's not early graduation... OP is coming up on 2 years!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.