Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA - Student Credit Card but not a student anymore

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA - Student Credit Card but not a student anymore

I have a Bank of America's "Credit Card for Students", but the thing is I graduated from college last year and I'm not a student anymore. The credit card doesn't have any rewards so I would like to have a credit card with rewards. Does the credit card get upgraded automatically or should I ask them to upgrade it? Or should I open a new credit card?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
genmic
Established Member

Re: BoA - Student Credit Card but not a student anymore

BoA is really good about PC. You should definitely call them. I upgraded from a student card to a Travel Rewards card.

Message 2 of 4
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@NukesRUs wrote:
I have a Bank of America's "Credit Card for Students", but the thing is I graduated from college last year and I'm not a student anymore. The credit card doesn't have any rewards so I would like to have a credit card with rewards. Does the credit card get upgraded automatically or should I ask them to upgrade it? Or should I open a new credit card?

Thanks! 

I had a similar situation, though I was still enrolled at the time. I had their student CC with no rewards (before they came out with the student cash rewards card they have now) and only a few months into my time with them, I asked to be upgraded to the 123 Cash Rewards card and it was granted, no pulls, nothing. Harmless. I would suggest calling in or doing an online chat and asking them to PC your card to a different one. From what I've heard most people don't have any trouble, but I'd make sure you don't have a super high balance or utilization, because I have heard of accounts getting closed or CLD'd once you draw attention to yourself. But I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm also kinda wondering what I should do with my many other student cards that I have, being that I graduated last August. I think I'm just going to let them be and see what happens...I don't think any of my cards are specifically student cards, they're just student versions of regular cards, so they have the same rewards and all that -they're just easier to get approved for. I even have BoA's CampusEdge checking still, and a Chase Student checking account. I guess I'll just wait until they decide to transfer them into normal accounts Smiley LOL

Photobucket
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input.

One more question: I've never asked for a credit line increase because I never needed one, but I think I'll ask for one to help increase my credit score.

So is it a good idea to ask for it right after I upgrade my credit card?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.