Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA - What 1 Card would you suggest

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

BoA - What 1 Card would you suggest

BoA has been sending me an offer the last few months on the vanilla Mastercard with 13.49% apr so I assume I'm in their sights.  I will hold out for a better offer on a rewards card but wonder what other BoA cardholders consider the best card to go for if I only go for one from them.

Thanks for the feedback!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: BoA - What 1 Card would you suggest

Better Balance Rewards

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you travel Alaska Air is nice.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever card suits your needs is the one to go for.

Message 4 of 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

What ever card is offered by a different bank.  

If they are offering 13.49%, which is a low APR, then another bank with better rewards than you can get from them would be a smarter move.

The only thing the Better Balance Rewards card is god for is to make money off it by buying gum and paying in full to get more cash bank each quarter than you spent.

The thing is the APR, if you keep a balance it is important.  If you pay in full each month then it is unimportant.  If you are being offered that low of an APR from them, then it probably means someone else would offer you a low APR also.  Go to the US Bank website and see what they offer you and if the APR on the offer is set.  If it is set, then you will probably get the card and the Cash+ card is better than most cards out there.  You get to choose what categories you want to get the cash back on.  If you are a member of Costco, then get the Costco Visa because those rewards are some of the better rewards available and their gas price alone is worth the membership.

Read up on BoA experiences, you might find it is truly best to find the rewards card that fits you best from another bank.  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at your signature it does not seem like you need any additional cards. Having said that, based on what you already have, a Better Balance Rewards card could be a good fit for you. For practically little effort, you could earn $25 per quarter by allowing a balance to cycle on your statement and then paying in full. If you have a BofA checking or savings account, that would net you an additional $5 per quarter and it will allow an automatic deposit to your BofA/ML account. Otherwise, the $25 reward is applied towards the account balance. 

There are a lot of BofA haters out there but I really like them. However, their rewards really benefit BofA/Merril Lynch deposit/investment customers the most due to the relationship rewards. 

If you are looking for a low rate card, check out Security Service FCU (if you have RBFCU you likely qaulify for SSFCU) they have a 7.24% variable rate MasterCard and of course, you could check out Unify Financial Credit Union as they have an even lower variable rate card (5.49%). 

Message 6 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Barry, if you're getting offers certainly take a look at their prequalify page.  The offer I assume you are getting is for the BankAmericard (lowest APR, no frills)?  If it shows the same APR here as it does on your offer, you should also have the Better Balance Rewards 1% higher and the Cash/Travel Rewards cards a point or two higher than that:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/customized-offers/find-customized-offer.go

I used to be a BOA hater, but have used them for about 12 years for credit and checking since they bought out previous lenders.  Over the past year I have actually grown to love them, because they have apparently grown to love me.  For rewards, there are certainly better options, but BOA offers very generous credit lines and their balance transfer offers are always there when/if you need them.  CLIs will almost always be a HP, but are worth it when you're getting $8-15k or more in credit line increases each shot (my experience).

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BoA cash preferred rewards is pretty nice, and they have great CS if you're a preferred gold member. Easily obtainable $21K limit from what I remember.

Message 8 of 9
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Pretty much echoing what others have to say: for me personally, the BBR is the best card out there. Given the cards I already have, I don't get much value out of any of their other cards (Cash rewards, Travel Rewards are probably the 2 most popular). I use them for a checking account though so the BBR gives me that extra deposit, and because of my relationship with them that goes way beyond the time I started the credit card game, I was approved for a very low APR so I guess me and BoA are on good terms. There's better cards that I'd rather put my spend on. The BBR is just used to pay for my Apple Music subscription and that's it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.