cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA cancelled my Visa due to inactivity of less than 1 year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA cancelled my Visa due to inactivity of less than 1 year?

I received a letter on Friday stating that my Visa would be cancelled either due to 1. serious delinquencies or 2. inactivity.

Obviously I didn't have any delinquencies whatsoever as all my cards are a $0 balance and my credit score is over 700 with no issues.

But then I checked the inactivity on this card and it has only been 6-7 months since I stopped using it...less than 1 year?  This is my oldest card, plus best APR and limit.

Any ideas?  Maybe this is a sign because BoA is the worst bank next to Citi.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: BoA cancelled my Visa due to inactivity of less than 1 year?

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a letter on Friday stating that my Visa would be cancelled either due to 1. serious delinquencies or 2. inactivity.

Obviously I didn't have any delinquencies whatsoever as all my cards are a $0 balance and my credit score is over 700 with no issues.

But then I checked the inactivity on this card and it has only been 6-7 months since I stopped using it...less than 1 year?  This is my oldest card, plus best APR and limit.

Did they already close it?

Have you called in to talk to them about it?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to get some intel before I called them.  It still looks open online but I haven't tried to use it yet.

Message 3 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wanted to get some intel before I called them.  It still looks open online but I haven't tried to use it yet.

I'd go ahead and use it, if it declines call them and sound angry about it! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

More and more lenders are closing inactive cards, not just BofA. Barclays specifically stated on T&C that its card may be closed for 6 months of inactivity.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, If it was a card I wanted to keep open I wouldn't let it go more than 3 months without some kind of activity.  I think 6 months is kind of the standard where you're at risk for closure due to inactivity.  If you want to keep it open I'd definitely suggest trying to make a couple of transactions with it and calling if it's denied.  Just make sure to use it at least every 3-4 months from now on.

Message 6 of 21
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Or do what I do: I have cards that I dont want to use cause they outgrew, but I hate to close because its no AF and it has decent limit. I have a CAPONE that has $750 limit and they refuse to PC to something with rewards but since there is no AF, I use it for Netflix $7.99 every month. As soon as it posts, I pay it and that is that. It sits in the drawer and gathers dust until CAPONE realizes that they need to compete for my business and not the other way around like it used to be.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 7 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@MarcinXP wrote:

Or do what I do: I have cards that I dont want to use cause they outgrew, but I hate to close because its no AF and it has decent limit. I have a CAPONE that has $750 limit and they refuse to PC to something with rewards but since there is no AF, I use it for Netflix $7.99 every month. As soon as it posts, I pay it and that is that. It sits in the drawer and gathers dust until CAPONE realizes that they need to compete for my business and not the other way around like it used to be.

I agree!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 21
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Just put a recurring monthly charge through it and you'll be fine. That's what I do with my BofA card, and they haven't closed or AAed me.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 21
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Look at this from their perspective: They extend you credit, you fail to use it for over half a year.

I don't mean to direct this personally to you, but a lot of CCCs don't issue cards just to keep our utilization low or look nice in our wallets. If there is no AF and no usage, there really is no motivation to keep you as a customer since, by definition, they aren't making money from your business.

Just something to keep in mind before declaring someone "the worst bank next to Citi" Smiley Happy

Fair disclosure: I am not a BOA customer in any form...in fact, they wouldn't give me a credit product if their financial lives depended on it because of a BK7 on my report.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.