Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Shop took 2 months to claim money from AMEX

tag
doood71
Regular Contributor

Body Shop took 2 months to claim money from AMEX

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but to make a long story short, I had an alarm installed on my recently purchased truck (which was 2 weeks old back in November) and the alarm company wrecked the front end of my truck.  They came up with some boggus story about how they didn't know it was in drive...Smiley Sad 

Anyway, he had insurance so we filed a claim and I got a check after the field examiner came to view the extent of damages.  The check amount covered the damages so I decided to pay for it with my AMEX blue card and just pay the AMEX so that I could benefit from the rewards points.  Well, for about 2 weeks the AMEX showed a $1800 decrease in available credit and then just vanished showing the full amount of credit as being available.  So I called AMEX and spoke to a CSR who informed me that the authorization was approved but the body shop hadn't requested the funds from them.

It was SO great seeing 1800 sitting in my savings account developing .20 in interest from BofA heh.  But about 1 week ago they must have finally caught their mistake.  Smiley Sad  So it put me near my limit because I am revolving a balance because of a trip during the christmas break. (I'm hoping to pay it down before AMEX gets to people whose last name starts with an "S" and were born in January).

I guess I always knew in the back of my mind that if their accounting department was any good they would find it, and they did.

Message Edited by doood71 on 02-05-2009 11:13 AM
2/15/2011 TU: 773 ~ EQ: 780
8/15/2011 TU: 766 ~ EQ: 783 ~ EX: 753 (psecu)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Body Shop took 2 months to claim money from AMEX

I'll have to admit when I saw the title of your post, I was thinking something entirely different than a truck alarm. Smiley Wink  LOL
Message 2 of 4
doood71
Regular Contributor

heh, sorry, I guess it is a bit misleading.
2/15/2011 TU: 773 ~ EQ: 780
8/15/2011 TU: 766 ~ EQ: 783 ~ EX: 753 (psecu)
Message 3 of 4
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

Most Body Shops don't accept credit card payments for insurance claims where you're given a check from the insurance company.  They usually require you to sign the insurance check over to them.  This is obviously to avoid having to give the credit card company a cut of their profits.

Maybe that's why it took them 2 months to figure out that you hadn't signed over the check to them & or instructed the insurance company to pay them directly.

They'll usually only accept credit card payments for private party cash transactions (non-insurance claims).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.