Valued Contributor

Re: BofA BS Hits the ceiling

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First, yes, some of what BOA said is BS.  Calling back and getting a CSR may be all it takes.

That said, I'm not sure what it takes for you guys to not be so shocked with both of your activity levels. 

I'm not sure how "activity" levels have anything to do with it?!

BofA is the only bank I know of that will take CL from 1 card and move it to another instead of granting a cli without talking to a card member. but we have always caught it in the past if they wanted to do this and were able to cancel it on the spot... so we have never dealt with them saying they need a new credit pull and i just don't think it's worth paying $10 to just move CL back that we already had.

How many (or what %) credit files (or profiles may be better) have the high rate of applications for new CC's, requesting CLI's, and the amount of AU activity that you and your partner?  I would easily say you guys are in a very small group of folks with acivity at that high of a rate.  So on that, yes, I would expect you guys to get different levels of attention versus the person who maybe applies for 1-2 cards a year and at most has a kid or spouse as an AU.

In an investigative manner it would be "keep that person on the radar".

Again, I'm not dismissing the level of BS from that CSR but your activity levels are far from the average consumer.

Again other things going on with other banks and accounts have nothing to do with BofA or this CLI request... I just don't see how they are relevant to the conversation.

I was more referring to the fact that activity caused their systems to put a freeze on the file and thus can't be done without a credit review.

He tried escalating to manager and was told that files are only viewable for 24 hours (BS BS BS) and that this was a new request and would need a review.

Here I wondered if this was possible due to internal notes that only employees would see?

Also curious, why do you need to unlock your report for a current creditor to do a SP?

Again other things going on with other banks and accounts have nothing to do with BofA or this CLI request... I just don't see how they are relevant to the conversation.

How so?  Banks are not just worried about only your activity but just was much as what else is going on with your profile.  How many times have we read here about folks receiving AA for activity that had nothing to do with the bank taking the AA?

I think we're starting to get away from the point of this thread. 

I can't speak for Creditaddict, but I believe he was providing us with a data point on how BoA can be a bit unpredictable when it comes to moving credit lines, and how it's notable in this particular situation that he's being told they can't do a SP unless he unlocks his credit files (again), which of course involves a fee.  I think it's also notable how they are unable to use a report that is only nine days old, while in the past a SP would be good for up to 30 days.

We can speculate all day on the 'why' (and even the 'who'), but in the end there's no way to know for sure.  I'm all for discussion - and even dissent - but if we get too far away from the point of the thread any data points risk getting lost in the message.

That's just my 2¢.

Very true, it's easy to go off point and get lost in the weeds and then totally miss the point of the post. This was a post about BofA not a person's credit habits and profile and what not. As usual Uncle B is the voice of reason. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Received letter yesterday that my partners CLI on Alaska was actually approved by using $10k from his Fidelity not by giving him new credit.

He called in to move the credit line back because Fidelity is getting to move away from BofA and the last thing we want is to not have the $50k line move!!

Lady comes back after long hold and says there is a freeze on the file and the request can't be done without a credit review (even though it's just a sp)

Wait, BofA keeps credit pulls on file for 30 days and you just pulled 9 days ago for the cli request.

Sorry but we need a FRESH report to process this request... but it's just a SP

BUT it will just cost me $10 to be able to unlock the report so you can pull a SP even though you have a report on file and even though you made the decision on your own to move the CL without talking to me.

Sorry.

He tried escalating to manager and was told that files are only viewable for 24 hours (BS BS BS) and that this was a new request and would need a review.

THE WORST experience to date with BofA.

BoA comes up with all kinds of weird rules and excuses for things. They are bizarre. I think they make things up as they go along.

They even once told me that "BoA rules change from one day to the next all the time. Never the same from one day to the next. " Seriously. Great way to run a business.

Sorry it happened Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 65
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Last word winner today!
Message 13 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this thread has been adequately discussed.  I'm sure CA is aware that he and his partner are quite active credit wise but that doesn't mean we need to turn this thread intto a review of his credit profile.  Points have been made and maybe it's time to move on.

Message 14 of 65
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear CA. I recently closed all of my BoA accts and don't miss them.
Message 15 of 65
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I may just be remembering wrong, but I thought you were a BOA fan? Did something happen?

Message 16 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First, yes, some of what BOA said is BS.  Calling back and getting a CSR may be all it takes.

That said, I'm not sure what it takes for you guys to not be so shocked with both of your activity levels. 

I'm not sure how "activity" levels have anything to do with it?!

BofA is the only bank I know of that will take CL from 1 card and move it to another instead of granting a cli without talking to a card member. but we have always caught it in the past if they wanted to do this and were able to cancel it on the spot... so we have never dealt with them saying they need a new credit pull and i just don't think it's worth paying $10 to just move CL back that we already had.

Amex and Chase both sometimes do the same thing.

Message 17 of 65
ddemari
Super Contributor

from my experiences and from others;BOA either loves to agree with u or love to disagree with you lol. for most, there is come to middle ground but then they dont deal with them again for a long time lol. 

Message 18 of 65
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I may just be remembering wrong, but I thought you were a BOA fan? Did something happen?

I was a huge fan of them, that's for sure. Then after being flooded with their Alaska Air biz card mailers, I applied. Seven days later, they closed two cards entirely and cut the limits on two others to within $5 of the balance - which were both under $1k. When I called them up, there was absolutely no explanation other than "we believe you have sufficient available credit."  So I proceeded to pay off both cards, close them and my checking/savings accounts. It left a really bad taste in my mouth, especially the explanation. Funny enough, the Alaska Air biz mailers continue to arrive every week like clockwork. 

Message 19 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I was a huge fan of them, that's for sure. Then after being flooded with their Alaska Air biz card mailers, I applied. Seven days later, they closed two cards entirely and cut the limits on two others to within $5 of the balance - which were both under $1k. When I called them up, there was absolutely no explanation other than "we believe you have sufficient available credit."  So I proceeded to pay off both cards, close them and my checking/savings accounts. It left a really bad taste in my mouth, especially the explanation. Funny enough, the Alaska Air biz mailers continue to arrive every week like clockwork. 

Yet more evidence that BoA enacts weird decisions that make no sense. Their policies do not seem to be very concrete, and polciies appear to change when the wind blows a certain way. Sorry this happened, B Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.