Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Backdates.....sorta......

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

BofA Backdates.....sorta......

So i got new Cash Rewards cards in the mail since mine were up for renewal soon any mine had the normal "Cardholder Since 12" but my Dad's AU card for my account says "Cardholder Since 94"

So they backdated the card to match his regular card he has with them...... nice of them to do that but i'm guessing its just backdated on the card itself and nowhere else.

Just thought I would share this.

Did anyone else have the same thing happen to new cards they recieved?

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: BofA Backdates.....sorta......

If it's not reported it's not backdating.  There are certainly cards that have such things imprinted on them such as "customer since..." but these are not backdating.

Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

If it's not reported it's not backdating.  There are certainly cards that have such things imprinted on them such as "customer since..." but these are not backdating.

Right, you would struggle to find any situation where having an older date on the card had any value!  (Respect from a clerk?   Probably not!)

Message 3 of 7
woodsie1
Regular Contributor

Ok recently activated my new quicksilver card on 7/13/15 and it already reported to the bureaus. It looks like it backdated to the time I have had my other cap one. It already has two years of paymnet history listed on my CR. Maybe it's a mistake but whatever, I'll take it.

Starting scores TU: 537 EQ: 571 Current Scores 8/2015 TU:641 EQ: 641EX: 643
4000 3600 30006200 VS: 2450 NY&CO: 2320

Message 4 of 7
bkelly906
Regular Contributor

@woodsie1 wrote:

Ok recently activated my new quicksilver card on 7/13/15 and it already reported to the bureaus. It looks like it backdated to the time I have had my other cap one. It already has two years of paymnet history listed on my CR. Maybe it's a mistake but whatever, I'll take it.

I would take a 2nd look at your credit report to see what that it.  I have never seen Cap 1 report a card that quickly...it usually takes them 2 - 3 months and they do not backdate.  I have a feeling what you are looking at is for a different card.

Message 5 of 7
woodsie1
Regular Contributor

@bkelly906 wrote:

@woodsie1 wrote:

I would take a 2nd look at your credit report to see what that it.  I have never seen Cap 1 report a card that quickly...it usually takes them 2 - 3 months and they do not backdate.  I have a feeling what you are looking at is for a different card.

Nope, I did a double take. It is for the new quicksilver card.  The credit limit and balance match exactly to the new card. Plus my other cap one has a different credit limit and is also on my credit report. Even credit karma listed that I had a new account reporting. LOL, thought it was weird too, but it's there. If I can figure out how to post a screen shot I will.

Starting scores TU: 537 EQ: 571 Current Scores 8/2015 TU:641 EQ: 641EX: 643
4000 3600 30006200 VS: 2450 NY&CO: 2320

Message 6 of 7
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I'd call that 'Membership Dating', not back dating..... About the CapOne backdating, well that is interesting and I wonder if it is specific to a type of account, like their higher tier accounts? Having both lower tier and higher tier accounts with them I can see the difference in policies that they have for each. While some of these are merging into the same policies, there has certainly been a difference in the past.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.