cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

Hello all--

I've had my BofA Travel Rewards CC for 3 months now with a CL of $800... very low. I'm a 21 year old student with annual income of ~$20K.

Looking for a CLI, but unsure if this is far too soon to request one. I have over $6K in my checking account, my utilization ratio is somewhere around 20-25%, pay my balance in full, on time, always. Can anyone advise on a way to proceed?

Much appreciated!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES
Senior Contributor

Re: BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

It is likely a bit too early in the game for a CLI if your account has not been established long enough.  You can always request a CLI; however, it will more than likely be a HP and no guarantee they may increase it by much, if at all at this point... YEMV.

Message 2 of 8
Regular Contributor

Re: BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

I have a little bit of experience with this, if it helps. I got an initial credit limit of $1,000 when I was approved for my Cash Rewards card. After probably 70 or more days, 2 and a half months, I asked for a credit limit increase because of an overseas vacation I was taking. It was a hard pull, but they gave me $5,000 and upgraded it to a World Mastercard with no issues whatsoever!!!! But it was a hardpull, so ymmv
Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $10,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $10,000 | Discover IT: $10,000

FICO: TU-767 (Discover), EX-768 (Amex pull), EQ-759
Message 3 of 8

Thank you all for your kind replies!

Now when you hit the button requesting a credit increase on the BofA online site, do they allow you to "plea" your case to the credit analyst? Also, what are the long-term downsides to a hard pull?

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 8
Established Member

HP will lower your score a little bit. I have read, however, that their impact wanes after 6 months and diminishes altogether following 1 year. They fall off your report after 2 years. Obviously, the thicker your credit file the lesser impact a HP will have.

FWIW: I studied in London Spring term last year with this card and $800 limit. Whilst making multiple payments a month can be annoying, I didn't find it prohibitively onerous. My flatmate also had this card, $800 limit, and was fine. I guess the only trouble you might have is if you intend to purchase pricier items.
Message 5 of 8
Regular Contributor

I did not use the cli button, I called the number on the back of my card and asked about an increase. It was very easy! Plus I think it's better to speak with a human about why ou want the increase, etc.
Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $10,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $10,000 | Discover IT: $10,000

FICO: TU-767 (Discover), EX-768 (Amex pull), EQ-759
Message 6 of 8
Established Contributor

3 months no way wait til 6 months I say
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

youngman1234 wrote:
3 months no way wait til 6 months I say

Ditto.. you better your chances this way.

Message 8 of 8