New Visitor
WillP123

BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

[ Edited ]

Hello all--

I've had my BofA Travel Rewards CC for 3 months now with a CL of $800... very low. I'm a 21 year old student with annual income of ~$20K.

Looking for a CLI, but unsure if this is far too soon to request one. I have over $6K in my checking account, my utilization ratio is somewhere around 20-25%, pay my balance in full, on time, always. Can anyone advise on a way to proceed?

Much appreciated!

Valued Contributor
FinStar

Re: BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

[ Edited ]

It is likely a bit too early in the game for a CLI if your account has not been established long enough.  You can always request a CLI; however, it will more than likely be a HP and no guarantee they may increase it by much, if at all at this point... YEMV.

Regular Contributor
acb5456

Re: BofA Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card CLI Question -- Student going abroad

I have a little bit of experience with this, if it helps. I got an initial credit limit of $1,000 when I was approved for my Cash Rewards card. After probably 70 or more days, 2 and a half months, I asked for a credit limit increase because of an overseas vacation I was taking. It was a hard pull, but they gave me $5,000 and upgraded it to a World Mastercard with no issues whatsoever!!!! But it was a hardpull, so ymmv
CSP: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $3,000 | BofA Cash Rewards World MC: $10,000 | Discover IT: $9,000

FICO: TU-755 (Discover), EX-721 (Amex pull), EQ-723
New Visitor
WillP123

Thank you all for your kind replies!

Now when you hit the button requesting a credit increase on the BofA online site, do they allow you to "plea" your case to the credit analyst? Also, what are the long-term downsides to a hard pull?

Thanks again!

Established Member
Incredulous

HP will lower your score a little bit. I have read, however, that their impact wanes after 6 months and diminishes altogether following 1 year. They fall off your report after 2 years. Obviously, the thicker your credit file the lesser impact a HP will have.

FWIW: I studied in London Spring term last year with this card and $800 limit. Whilst making multiple payments a month can be annoying, I didn't find it prohibitively onerous. My flatmate also had this card, $800 limit, and was fine. I guess the only trouble you might have is if you intend to purchase pricier items.
Regular Contributor
acb5456

I did not use the cli button, I called the number on the back of my card and asked about an increase. It was very easy! Plus I think it's better to speak with a human about why ou want the increase, etc.
CSP: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $3,000 | BofA Cash Rewards World MC: $10,000 | Discover IT: $9,000

FICO: TU-755 (Discover), EX-721 (Amex pull), EQ-723
Frequent Contributor
youngman1234

3 months no way wait til 6 months I say
Kenny

youngman1234 wrote:
3 months no way wait til 6 months I say

Ditto.. you better your chances this way.

Starting Score: EQ04: 748 (1/31/14) - TU08: 755 (1/06/14)
Current Score:EX08:776(11/05) - EQ04:770(10/31) - EQ08:796(11/08) - TU08:798(11/18)
Goal Score: 800+

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}