Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA CLI Denial

tag
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

BofA CLI Denial

i just talked online to find out the decision on my CLI increase. She said it got denied. What's the number to recon for BofA? i don't want this hard inquiry I just did to go to waste. What do I even say on the phone? I've never done this before and I get nervous talking on the phone :/  I'm planning on calling them before I go to work today.  I requested the credit limit increase to lower my utilization. Even just a little bit.  I'm freaking out here, lol. 

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: BofA CLI Denial

The back door numbers are listed at the top of the page. I'm sorry to say a CLI depends on how long you have had the card and utilization. It's worth a shot if it's a soft pull but if its another HP not so much. If it's your $500 BoA card you can explain it needs to be higher to be useful.  If it's your $2300 BoA card and it's maxed out I'm afraid you may get the same denial. Good Luck what ever you decide. I have no BoA cards so hopefully some who does will share.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

The back door numbers are listed at the top of the page. I'm sorry to say a CLI depends on how long you have had the card and utilization. It's worth a shot if it's a soft pull but if its another HP not so much. If it's your $500 BoA card you can explain it needs to be higher to be useful.  If it's your $2300 BoA card and it's maxed out I'm afraid you may get the same denial. Good Luck what ever you decide. I have no BoA cards so hopefully some who does will share.

i think it's because of my recent-ish high utilization. So maybe if I pay it down enough in 30 days I can try the recon call? 

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@DarkMoonLily wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

i think it's because of my recent-ish high utilization. So maybe if I pay it down enough in 30 days I can try the recon call? 

Tha's usually the problem. Banks seem to give money only when you don't need it. Not when you can use it! Smiley Frustrated

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

OP give them a call and try to recon, the analysts will ask you a lot of questions based on your CR, so get ready to answer them if you have any baddies.  Best of luck. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@DarkMoonLily wrote:

i just talked online to find out the decision on my CLI increase. She said it got denied. What's the number to recon for BofA? i don't want this hard inquiry I just did to go to waste. What do I even say on the phone? I've never done this before and I get nervous talking on the phone :/  I'm planning on calling them before I go to work today.  I requested the credit limit increase to lower my utilization. Even just a little bit.  I'm freaking out here, lol. 

Which card did you request CLI?

What is current balances?

Don't be nervous... if you are confident and can answer clearly and direct I think you have a better chance of convincing an underwriter why you would like it (I would not suggest saying something in regards to just to lower my util) I would say to keep my util lower if you were paying your balance but it was reporting higher, but if you are revolving your balance and just want high CL to dilute that you are basically telling them you can't pay your balance off so you are hoping to just make it look like you are not so maxed out

Message 6 of 7
islandgirl759
Valued Member

This is interesting, because i am right now considering asking for a CLI on a Bank of America student credit card I got in college that has a $700 limit. So what is a good reason to tell them you want the increase, if not solely for utilization purposes and increasing your credit score? I have always paid this card on time, and in the last 6 months or so it has always been under 30% utilization. My scores currently are 731, 731 and 660 (transunion). Is it better to ask for an increase or to ask to upgrade the card? This is also my oldest TL and I wouldn't want to lose that history with an upgrade if that means the account gets closed and a new one is opened.

Transunion - 786 (Discover it) 8/21/2015
Equifax - 760 (Quizzle) 8/25/2015
CreditKarma - 757 (TU) & 760 (EQ) - 8/23/15
Fico 8 Equifax - 772 (Citi CC)
Fico 8 Experian - 773 (Amex CC)
Bank Of America Cash Back Rewards- $9500 CL, Discover It Cash Back Rewards - $7800 CL, Citi Simplicity - $9500 CL, AMEX BCE - $7000 CL

Things have changed a bit Smiley Happy

Transunion - 771 (Discover it + Myfico score) 7/21/2014
- 749 (Discover it) 8/21/2014 - lost 22 points after app spree
Experian - 724 (from them directly) 8/10/2014 (AMEX said it was 735?)
Equifax - 748 (Quizzle) 7/28/2014
- 736 (Quizzle) 8/28/2014 - lost 12 points after app spree
CreditKarma - 759 - 8/9/14 (went up from 738 +24 pts 7/31/2014)

Bank Of America Cash Back Rewards- $6500, Discover It Cash Back Rewards - $3500, Citi Simplicity - $5000, AMEX BCE - $2000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.