Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Cash Rewards - Good Deal?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: BofA Cash Rewards - Good Deal?

@MaisCher wrote:

I liked the suggestion of just having it setup on auto pay instead of him paying in full on payday. He banks with Wells Fargo and has a USAA savings account but neither had cards I thought would benefit him much.

Citi Double Cash is looking good as someone else suggested it's no hassle. I don't think he's ready for the "maximizing benefits" lesson yet since his attention span is terrible lol He needs a swipe and go option. I only want him with one card now because too much credit is still too tempting for a child his age.

When people come to myFICO looking to rebuild their credit, it is not because they missed out on rewards. It is because they missed payments.

The BBR focuses the reward structure on what really matters to build credit: Payment on time.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 31 of 39
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think something more general like a QS or DC is a great idea. This is a teenager. Likely he has no interest in dealing with reward categories or BBR type of management. Building credit can be done without micromanaging rewards. He needs to stick to basics vs trying to eek out every penny right now. Its best to learn the basics first i.e. responsible charging and paying on time. Worrying about max rewards is putting the cart before the horse IMO. Remember we are people who like rewards as a sort of hobby but not everyone does.
Message 32 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

kdm31091 wrote: Its best to learn the basics first i.e. responsible charging and paying on time. 

In my view, meeting one's obligations and maximizing rewards are both pretty basic and rudimentary concepts that often work together.  I've never understood the "one or the other" concept on this forum.  It's not rocket science.  While I'm sure this isn't a good idea for some 18 year olds, there are many other 18 year olds (I know many personally), who in a few short months has mastered credit and rewards maximization to a level of understanding that far surpass that of their parents and many on here who have been at it far longer and are far older in years.

It's not about age, but about the abilities, discipline and maturity of the individual.  

Of course, I'd never tell anyone how to raise his/her children.  But, in my estimation, it's best to keep an open mind that "some" young people are just naturally gifted in this area, and will naturally excel far more quickly than others.  My preference is to always expect and demand more from the Individual, rather than falling back on generalities, such as "too young to handle credit and manage it responsibly."

Message 33 of 39
sreneesa
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

kdm31091 wrote: Its best to learn the basics first i.e. responsible charging and paying on time. 

In my view, meeting one's obligations and maximizing rewards are both pretty basic and rudimentary concepts that often work together.  I've never understood the "one or the other" concept on this forum.  It's not rocket science.  While I'm sure this isn't a good idea for some 18 year olds, there are many other 18 year olds (I know many personally), who in a few short months has mastered credit and rewards maximization to a level of understanding that far surpass that of their parents and many on here who have been at it far longer and are far older in years.

It's not about age, but about the abilities, discipline and maturity of the individual.  

Of course, I'd never tell anyone how to raise his/her children.  But, in my estimation, it's best to keep an open mind that "some" young people are just naturally gifted in this area, and will naturally excel far more quickly than others.  My preference is to always expect and demand more from the Individual, rather than falling back on generalities, such as "too young to handle credit and manage it responsibly."

I totally get what your saying.

Some teens are definitely able to responsibly handle credit. My daughter is definitely one of then; she just doesn't care about maximizing rewards like I do. Lol

But she is careful about using her cards and designates a few for emergencies only. She has a total of 6 cards, three being store cards(walmart, target, victoria secret).

She doesn't have a desire for anymore. She feels she has enough....until amex knocks on her door. Lol

Anyway, my daughter is an example a person who started getting credit at 18 and manages it very responsibly and her scores reflect that. Better than mine.

Message 34 of 39
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

All good points. For me, I'm more comfortable starting him slowly. He knows all about responsible driving habits but although I can afford to get him a mustang I'm more comfortable with him driving my old SRX mom-mobile. LOL It's all about balance in our household. He has some time and he's on the right track.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MaisCher wrote:

I liked the suggestion of just having it setup on auto pay instead of him paying in full on payday. He banks with Wells Fargo and has a USAA savings account but neither had cards I thought would benefit him much.

Citi Double Cash is looking good as someone else suggested it's no hassle. I don't think he's ready for the "maximizing benefits" lesson yet since his attention span is terrible lol He needs a swipe and go option. I only want him with one card now because too much credit is still too tempting for a child his age.

Smart mom should get her son into navy federal asap.

Message 36 of 39
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:

Smart mom should get her son into navy federal asap.

I know! I've been meaning to switch his savings from USAA and just haven't yet. You are correct though, I need to get him in.

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 37 of 39
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Yes, everyone is an individual, with different objectives.

In these debates where some myFICO member is asking for advice for someone else, it is important to remember that each person must make their own choices about how to approach credit, because at the end of the day, that individual must pay the debts they signed up for, and manage all the cards they took on. Some are more active, meaning everyone on this thread brings an extensive knowledge about and interest in maximizing rewards.

Since OP is suggesting a personal card for her son, and her son is not taking the initiative to ask about what is best, it's important to keep the suggestion down to one card. While there are many good suggestions in the thread, getting away from the BBR gets into nuances of rewards that at this level of spend are just not going to amount to anything. If I hear correctly also, issues like the DC minimum rewards threshhold cause further confusion. The BBR, at the actual known cash back rates provided, is not going to be meaninfully improved upon without a lot of extra effort that the son is not asking about. If he chooses to expand what cards to look at, fine, that he can do on his initiative.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Well said!

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.