Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Closed My Account?

tag
Plex26
Established Member

BofA Closed My Account?

So this morning I went online to make a payment on my BofA CashRewards card I've had since 2011 and was surprised to find out it was closed without any notices or information...

I just got off the phone with BofA and reporterly Visa has reported that my account was compromised. A company that I have had transactions with in the past was hacked and account information was stolen. A notice was mailed out today the representative said which contains full information.

This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm wodnering if I should be concerned that maybe my personal information (Full name, DoB, SSN, address, etc.) has also been stolen and what I can do about it. The representative assured me that only account information was stolen, not personal information. I applaud BofA for automaticly closing my account (a new account was oppened and being proccessed) but I am very concern about my information!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: BofA Closed My Account?

I would suggest a FA....now.

Have you pulled your CR's, checked your other accounts?

Do you also bank with a BoA?
Message 2 of 8
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Credit Freeze would be better then a FA, but unless you live in certain states you can't do it for free until someone actually tries to use your information. I had someone (who tuned out to be someone I know) break into my house almost three months ago. They took a computer that had everything on it. Initially I did a FA. It comes off in a couple weeks. I'm very seriously considering just paying to freeze all of my reports now as well. It's really the only thing that completely locks down your credit. 

Message 3 of 8
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

this happened with one of my BofA accounts too. the company was western union and i had done a WU few weeks before that and apparently WU had been hacked and some CC info compromised.

i didnt even noticed the account was closed. i only noticed when they sent me a letter with a new account number.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 8
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

THIS JUST HAPPENED TO MY SISTER AND I!! BofA sent her a new card because they said her account had been compromised even though she had NEVER had any fraudulent charges. They sent her a new card that was set to expire the following month--with a new number. She only activated the card and hadn't used it anywhere. She ended up with 500 in fraudulent charges with the new changed account number. Not with the old account. BofA removed fraud charges but have not sent out a new card yet. It's been over 3 months now. It also affected my CR because I'm an AU on her card. I have a FA on my report as well. I highly suggest it!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I wouldn't go through the trouble of blocking your credit reports over a company being hacked... it happens so often... 

most likely if the information they obtained was considered at a risk enough the companies usually pay for security or credit watch programs... if they simply closed your account and opened a new one, they are not that worried about it and neither should you be.

you look like you might be in the middle of building your credit and placing freezes on all of your credit reports will REALLY SLOW that process down since many of your auto CLI or sp CLI (Amex) etc. might not go through without unlocking and that can get costly and time consuming!

Message 6 of 8
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I had to have my BofA card replaced but it was because they flagged a charge that was not done by me - they called me to verify it and I told them that the purchase was not from me.  They closed that account and issued a new card.  This was about 2-3 months ago.  I thanked them for keeping an eye on my account - I'm glad they watch for things like that.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 7 of 8
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I don't have a BoA credit card account but they re-issued my Visa Check Card automatically because something similar happened. Everything went on as usual and there was no funny business...lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.