Not applicable

Re: BofA Combining cards

You're welcome!!   TC!  Smiley Happy

Sandy
Message 11 of 19
emoticon
Valued Member

I combined a BOA Platinum Visa with the BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX.  The CSR told me all was good and that I would receive a letter with the decision. I could immedialtely see on my account on the web that I now had a card with a high limit and one with zero.  About a week later, I received the letter.

Dear emoticon,

As you requested, we have consolidated your accounts serviced by FIA Card Services, N.A., combining all balances to the above-referenced account.  The new credit line is shown above.  The following account or accounts were closed:

xxx xxx xxx xxx

Please destroy all cards...

btw, I retained all leftover visa worldpoints even though they said I would lose them.  When they told me I would lose them, I cashed them in and left a few hundred points unused.
*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

emoticon wrote:
I combined a BOA Platinum Visa with the BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX.  The CSR told me all was good and that I would receive a letter with the decision. I could immedialtely see on my account on the web that I now had a card with a high limit and one with zero.  About a week later, I received the letter.

Dear emoticon,

As you requested, we have consolidated your accounts serviced by FIA Card Services, N.A., combining all balances to the above-referenced account.  The new credit line is shown above.  The following account or accounts were closed:

xxx xxx xxx xxx

Please destroy all cards...

btw, I retained all leftover visa worldpoints even though they said I would lose them.  When they told me I would lose them, I cashed them in and left a few hundred points unused.

Hmmm. Well, that's somewhat encouraging, although I haven't seen any change to my online accounts yet. Smiley Indifferent
Message 13 of 19
emoticon
Valued Member

Maybe you could call back and talk to another CSR.  It's possible that they didn't do the consolidation properly.  It should be immediate.  There's no reason for them not to do it except lack of knowledge about the process.
*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

emoticon wrote:
Maybe you could call back and talk to another CSR.  It's possible that they didn't do the consolidation properly.  It should be immediate.  There's no reason for them not to do it except lack of knowledge about the process.

Good idea. I think I'll give them until tomorrow a.m. and if it doesn't appear, I'll call back on the number I was given in this thread. Thanks for your input!
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

sankofa wrote:

You're welcome!!   TC!  Smiley Happy

Sandy

Well, here's the update. I got tired of waiting for the letter (don't have it), and it didn't show up online, so I called the number you gave me.

For some reason, this had not been done, but after putting me on hold for a minute, she came back and said that she asked her supervisor how to do it, and came back to me and said that she could transfer all but $100 of the VISA CL to the AMEX card, and then cancel the Visa. She said that her supervisor said this looks better on my credit report---closing a $100 CL than closing a -0- CL. That really doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. All I can figure is this: I had asked for a CLI on the
AMEX card, but was denied because they said I had "sufficient credit" with them. I have another BofA card with a $9,600 CL.  The net effect of what she's done leaves me at a total combined credit limit with BofA of $15,000. I guess they don't want to go over that, so they dumped the extra $100. lol. Whatever.

So, they put the $2,900 on my AMEX card, changed the VISA to $100 and then cancelled the VISA card. One less card to worry about. Still a bit puzzled about the $100 thing. Oh, well. checked online after the call and it's all been taken care of.
Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cheech, if it's already a done deal, then congrats for pulling it off, but if something messes up, your back-up plan might be to transfer all but $1K of the Visa's CL to the AmEx, and keep the Visa open. Put some piddly recurring bill on it and sock-drawer it, so that you don't have to worry about the APR, but it will continue to report as a clean, healthy TL. (I'd leave $1K CL on it, because there is some indication that other lenders sneer at you if you have lower CL cards.)

But if it annoys you beyond endurance, kill it off. I have a few on death row myself. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Cheech, if it's already a done deal, then congrats for pulling it off, but if something messes up, your back-up plan might be to transfer all but $1K of the Visa's CL to the AmEx, and keep the Visa open. Put some piddly recurring bill on it and sock-drawer it, so that you don't have to worry about the APR, but it will continue to report as a clean, healthy TL. (I'd leave $1K CL on it, because there is some indication that other lenders sneer at you if you have lower CL cards.)

But if it annoys you beyond endurance, kill it off. I have a few on death row myself. Smiley Wink

It's a done deal. I appreciate your advice, and it's certainly sound. The only reason I didn't opt to do it that way is because I already have 21 cards. (I just counted yesterday. lol) It's getting to be a bit much, you know? I don't NEED 21 cards and I'd LOVE to close a bunch of them down, but they're all good TLs and they help the utilization, so I don't want to mess that up. BUT, if I can move a CL to another card, I figured why not?
Message 18 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Makes sense to me. It's harrowing keeping track of CC's after a certain number. I wish I had some I could combine, but as a second best, I'll just close them.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.