Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA/Merrill Lynch credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA/Merrill Lynch credit card

I got a Merrill Rewards card in the mail and when I went to activate, it was declined. I called my broker and asked about the situation and was told that due to some past legal procedings, that I was unable to get any of there products. I will provide the back story on this issue.

We took our family to Italy for a month back in 2009 to visit my sister. We came back and there was another family living in my house! Major WTH! As we found out, the family had filed a quit claim deed against our home and even got a mortgage against it from... BOA! Not only did we sue the family , we had to sue BofA as they tried to hold accountable for the mortgage that the other family took out. Long story short we won on all of law suits and it was forgotten only to rear its ugly head again.

As I told my broker, if this how they want to treat us, then Ill take my business else where where we are appreciated. Of course, our broker is freaking out, as he does not want to lose us. He called back to argue on our behalf to no avail.

My question, is has this happened to others, where the creditor sends a card only to cancel it before you can use it? I'll tell you that this has left a nasty taste in our mouth towards BofA. We never even applied for the card, we were told that due to our portfolio size that they would issue us a card. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: BofA/Merrill Lynch credit card

Not cool. Sorry to hear this Mds.
Message 2 of 16
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

That’s insane!

Message 3 of 16
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

My question, is has this happened to others, where the creditor sends a card only to cancel it before you can use it?

Short answer is “yes”. All the time. Especially with Comenity Bank.

Your situation is incredibly unique to say the least. 

Honestly, I would find another broker and move on. They demonstrated all those years ago how they do business.

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA is known for doing this alot and it is has to be under extreme circustances for the card to be cancelled.  I am surprised with your portfolio, they did that as they go above and beyond for the "very affluent" with no questions asked.  Sorry to hear and choose a bank that appreciates you.  Maybe Chase? They have reduced the amount you need to have to be a private client with perks to $50,000 in assets.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

In July I applied and was approved for the Amazon Prime visa and was even credited the $70 gift card to my Amazon account. Shortly thereafter the card arrived in the mail. However, it was not active or usable. Apparently the opening of the acct had been flagged as suspicious and I had to talk to Chase's fraud department to verify that it was me requesting the card. Incidentally, I opened a freedom unlimited earlier the same month with no issues and still have that card.

Here's where it gets weird: no matter how many times I spoke with the fraud department, I couldn't get the card activated. I dunno if I had to talk to a specific person or what (I seem to recall getting a message to speak with a specific lady but I never got through with her, although I left at least one message on her machine). So I went to the branch to talk with a banker: what better way to verify my identity? He called his number for the fraud department, but we weren't able to get any assistance because apparently at the time the specific people I needed to talk to were on emergency assignment helping with Hurricane Harvey relief!

Anyway, so I basically gave up on it. Probably for the better, as I ultimately reapplied for the card on the same day I put in for the CSP in late January (to combine pulls - the Amazon card would be my final Chase card at least for the foreseeable time). I was approved for the CSP but they wanted me to call the fraud Dept to verify that I was the one who requested the Amazon card...lol...that went fine, but they still denied me! They said I had too many recent requests for credit/too many recent open accounts (3 other Chase cards including a business card since and including July, and 2 credit union cards - those are the only cards I opened since 2014). I guess it's just not meant to be...but it's ok I can reasonably cover Amazon expenses with my other CCs, and hey I got the $70 Amazon GC (used it about instantly for a bday gift for my dad) and no hard pulls for the efforts lol, so I came out ahead I guess!
Message 6 of 16
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I got a Merrill Rewards card in the mail and when I went to activate, it was declined. I called my broker and asked about the situation and was told that due to some past legal procedings, that I was unable to get any of there products. I will provide the back story on this issue.

We took our family to Italy for a month back in 2009 to visit my sister. We came back and there was another family living in my house! Major WTH! As we found out, the family had filed a quit claim deed against our home and even got a mortgage against it from... BOA! Not only did we sue the family , we had to sue BofA as they tried to hold accountable for the mortgage that the other family took out. Long story short we won on all of law suits and it was forgotten only to rear its ugly head again.

As I told my broker, if this how they want to treat us, then Ill take my business else where where we are appreciated. Of course, our broker is freaking out, as he does not want to lose us. He called back to argue on our behalf to no avail.

My question, is has this happened to others, where the creditor sends a card only to cancel it before you can use it? I'll tell you that this has left a nasty taste in our mouth towards BofA. We never even applied for the card, we were told that due to our portfolio size that they would issue us a card. 

1. Merrill + card was discontinued quite a while ago.  You didn not activate the card when you received it?

2. The bank certainly has the right to take back the credit. The right is on the bank side.  I can understand the legal issue in the past.

You can certainly get credit cards from other banks.....  Good luck!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, someone illegally transferred your real property (assuming fraudulently), recorded the purported deed, and then obtained a mortgage using the property as collertal for the mortgage? While, it’s not impossible, it’s crazy to believe that the amount of checks didn’t prevent the transfer and mortgage (recording statute, county records office, title company, and bank). Anyway, if something like that ever happened to me, that would literally be the last bank in the world I’d ever do business with again.

I’d say goodbye to all BoA products.
Message 8 of 16
arkane
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience with BoA, but as others have said, there are other banks that would surely appreciate your business.

I'll be honest, at this point I'm way more intrigued by the illegal occupation of your property and the subsequent fradulent mortgage that came along with it lol. It just sounds too insane, but falls squarely into the "can't make this $!@% up" camp. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 9 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Did you ever get the mortgage and deed situation fixed?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.