Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Prescreened Offer, Please Advise

tag
Leadberry
Established Contributor

BofA Prescreened Offer, Please Advise

This is the first prime offer I've received since rebuilding my credit, and I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on whether or not I should go for it.  It's for the Cash Rewards Visa, 0% intro + BT for 15 mos., then variable after that (offer states currently 18.99%).

I'm a college student, annual income ~$12k.  There is one baddie on my CR's:  an old paid Chase CO from 2007 (for $1,146).  There are four or five deferred student loans (totaling about $19k) as well as the cards in my sig, stats as follows:

NFCU:  $825/$5000 (opened 1/13)

USAA:  $212/$1000 (opened 1/13)

Cap1:  $228/$500 (opened 1/13)

GE/WM:  $87/$900 (opened 1/13)

Amex:  $0/$5000 (AU acct. dated to 6/01)

All cards are PIF monthly except the NFCU, which I've carried around a 20% balance on.  I was already planning on applying for the Travel Rewards card when the last baddie falls off in March, but now I've got this itch!  Any and all feedback is appreciated!  Smiley Very Happy

FICO Scores 800+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: BofA Prescreened Offer, Please Advise

@Leadberry wrote:

This is the first prime offer I've received since rebuilding my credit, and I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on whether or not I should go for it.  It's for the Cash Rewards Visa, 0% intro + BT for 15 mos., then variable after that (offer states currently 18.99%).

I'm a college student, annual income ~$12k.  There is one baddie on my CR's:  an old paid Chase CO from 2007 (for $1,146).  There are four or five deferred student loans (totaling about $19k) as well as the cards in my sig, stats as follows:

NFCU:  $825/$5000 (opened 1/13)

USAA:  $212/$1000 (opened 1/13)

Cap1:  $228/$500 (opened 1/13)

GE/WM:  $87/$900 (opened 1/13)

Amex:  $0/$5000 (AU acct. dated to 6/01)

All cards are PIF monthly except the NFCU, which I've carried around a 20% balance on.  I was already planning on applying for the Travel Rewards card when the last baddie falls off in March, but now I've got this itch!  Any and all feedback is appreciated!  Smiley Very Happy

More info needed 

scores, INQ's in last year?

AAoA?

Baddies?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Scores as listed in sig (EX is outdated/currently unknown), only baddie is as detailed in above post, AAoA 2.5 years, inquiries as follows:  EX 4, EQ 3, TU 5.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Cash Rewards would make more sense at the current time.  It would best the 1.25% cash back I'm getting on the Journey card.  However, I do plan on going overseas the next couple summers, so the Travel Rewards is a long-term goal.  I don't really plan on keeping the Journey in my wallet for too terribly long, and I really want to keep a no foreign transaction fee card in my wallet.  Ideally I would eventually be carrying a BCE for gas/groceries.

I do intend to app for BCE and Freedom in the spring if that matters.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

So from what I see all your cards were opened in Jan. making your history 6 months on income of 12K

IMHO continue gardening and building payment history for 6 more months and you will have a better profile. 

You could app now and will probably/possible be approved but I think with a toy limit. If you wait you will see better limit cards 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

So from what I see all your cards were opened in Jan. making your history 6 months on income of 12K

IMHO continue gardening and building payment history for 6 more months and you will have a better profile. 

You could app now and will probably/possible be approved but I think with a toy limit. If you wait you will see better limit cards 

Sounds good to me, thanks!  As an added bonus, I just earned my gold spade today, so I'm obviously in no big rush.  Getting the offer just got me excited, haha.  Cheers!

FICO Scores 800+
Message 7 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Sounds good to me, thanks!  As an added bonus, I just earned my gold spade today, so I'm obviously in no big rush.  Getting the offer just got me excited, haha.  Cheers!

Don't jump yet you are looking good for that Amex if you continue on course and IMO a better starting limit to go with it

And a BIG CONGRATS ON THE GOLD 

Wooo Hooo garden strong

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Great advice as usual Smiley Wink youll be ready in no time Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.