Valued Contributor

Re: BofA Rate Jacking Begins

PIF rules.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 11 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

not everyone who uses CC's responsibly is a convenience user.

@wmarat wrote:
PIF rules.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

3.90% for the life of the loan.  That is, for now.  I have a 2.99% life of the loan from Chase.  Starting in Jan '09, they are charging a $10 per month Account Service Charge as a new type of finance charge.

So, even when we play by the rules, they go ahead and change the terms of the original deal.

What a country.. 

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

joey22,

I have Chase and have not gotten that notice, and it is not on the site anywhere. I am going to fight back with all the tools available to me. If they (BofA) don't want my business I will and have taken it somewhere else. If the new company changes the rules I have other options I CAN ALWAYS PIF. I think this is a short sited move on the behalf of the banks and will backlash on the bottom line.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a similar notice this past February from BofA. Instead of raising a stink, I sent an "opt out" letter to BofA; and, I immediately SD the card. In a strange way, it was the best thing that could have happened. It helped me to lower my UTIL and increase my FICO score. Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise for you, too.

Message 15 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

huh?  i thought that typically opt out of a rate change means you can't you use the card and must close the account-
Message Edited by score_building on 11-14-2008 07:18 AM
Message 16 of 24
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:
huh?  typically opt out of a rate change means you can't you use the card and must close the account-
BoA doesn't make you close the account. They leave it open. It can be beneficial in that you don't lose the account, and it can be detrimental due to the fact that any usage will cause an immediate rate jack.
Message 17 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

wow, thanks, i had no idea.  i was RJ'ed for the first time on my wamu some time ago and they made me close to maintain the apr, so i mistakenly assumed that was how it worked with any issuer.  i have two boa cards, probably 2 of my favorite, so hoping to be under the radar for this latest round of RJ's.
Message 18 of 24
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

I've been reading alot of threads about BOA rate hikes lately. I've been watching my BankAmericard very closely and interestingly enough, they lowered my rate by 1% yesterday. My Chase Freedom account also received a rate reduction recently by 1%. Both cards are now at 12.99%. I'm not complaining!!
Message 19 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The Wall Street Journal prime rate was lowered again to 4.0%. Any APR's that are tied to the prime rate will lower when this happens (and conversely, will rise when it starts going up again.)

My HELOC is down to 3.05%, which is pretty sweet!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.