Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Weirdness-Fraud Alert

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: BofA Weirdness-Fraud Alert

@creditnocash wrote:

hmm just put a 600 dollar restaurant bill on my cc. in ct (literally 3 minutes over the border) 

ill let you know how this plays out. 

well jee cant login to my credit account for citizens bank. 

and when i go to cc from regualr banking the site freezes up. 

cc site says they cannot find my account. 

and to call the number listed. 

awesome. oh well. 

thats what happens when you put a 600 dollar bill and 600 dollar iphone 5 all in one month. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 11 of 13
calogan
Established Member

BofA always hits me with the most rediculous fraud alerts.

I went to Russia for two weeks, nothing.

Got back and was back for a week, nothing.

Went to Starbucks (which I've always done often) after being back for a week and boom FRAUD ALERT.

Never any sort of fraud alert with Amex or Chase.

Amex Accelerated Cash Rewards. BankAmericard Privileges with Travel Rewards. Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Now gardening until 2013. I assume gardening is a metaphor, like "book clubs" where all you do is drink wine.

Message 12 of 13
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I think a lot of the false positives in their system come from merchants whose systems maybe aren't doing authorizations "the right way".  Over the years I've had about two dozen of these fraud alerts from BoA, and that's been enough for me to figure out a few patterns.  

For example, the gas station right by my work which looks like it hasn't upgraded its pumps since 2000 but people use it anyway because it's 4 congested miles to the next nearest gas station....I've had 3 separate alerts come right after paying at the pump there.

I've also noticed that their algorithm apparently has some geographical biases.  e.g. Once I notified them I would be traveling in Scandinavia and the Baltic states, spent a few months in Sweden with no problems, went to Finland with no problem, but as soon as I set foot in Latvia, boom! Fraud lock!

Anyway, it's all perfectly normal and it does usually seem to be small purchases that trigger it. I've gotten used to it and kind of regard it as a nice reminder that even if they are a huge corporate megabank, at least they're watching my six a bit.

I will say that in the past few years, the efficiency and courtesy of the people on the fraud review line has really improved. In the past I used to be annoyed by the fraud locks because it would likely mean 15m of waiting to speak with a terse and suspicious-sounding rep.  Now, it's typically two minutes and I'm done, and the rep is usually pleasant and cheerful.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.