Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA closed my MasterCard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA closed my MasterCard

I opened it in 2007, it has a $3000 limit with a $2000 balance on it.  I'm not asking why they closed it, it their right to close it.... it's just what happens now?  

If anyone can answer...

1. Does it go straight to collections?

2. Should I even bother calling BofA? i.e. is there any chance they would reopen it?

3. On my Experian credit watch I got an alert saying that the card was "reported lost or stolen".  Is this a standard thing?  I thought it would show as "closed by grantor" or something.

They did not close my Visa, which I find strange since it has a higher limit.

Anyway, thanks if you can help.  Happy Sunday Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: BofA closed my MasterCard

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened it in 2007, it has a $3000 limit with a $2000 balance on it.  I'm not asking why they closed it, it their right to close it.... it's just what happens now?  

If anyone can answer...

2. Should I even bother calling BofA? i.e. is there any chance they would reopen it?

3. On my Experian credit watch I got an alert saying that the card was "reported lost or stolen".  Is this a standard thing?  I thought it would show as "closed by grantor" or something.

1.  Is it up to date or late?  If up to date, it won't go to collections.

2.  Call them and ask why they closed it.  

3.  This is why I'm telling you to call them and ask why.  Maybe they closed yours by accident.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 5
Datx
Valued Contributor

I think the best thing is to call BOA also. I don't believe they closed your card on accident though. Its possible they closed it due to their system being hacked, or some fraudulent going with the account. You probably have a new replacement card coming in the mail.  Call them and see whats up.

Message 3 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If anyone can answer...

This might related to something that happened to me a couple months ago:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Mastercard-account-numbers-compromised/m-p/927936#M267103

It is my understanding that there was some sort of security breach that put several account numbers at risk.  As a result, B of A closed accounts that might be affected by the breach, but they also issued new account numbers.  So, check to see whether your account is actually closed, because the notation on your credit alert suggests that your account might have been flagged as being at risk.

For me, the transition was seamless.  I was able to use the old card for several days as I waited for the new card to arrive.  Pending charges on the old card didn't appear online, but everything checked out when I received my monthly statement.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys.  I will call them in the morning.  The card has always been up to date and I use it once or twice a month...never had lates, etc.   The whole "reported lost or stolen" thing has me suspicious.  Thanks guys!  Jubeyyyyy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.