Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA credit card "pre-approvals"

tag
mipema
Contributor

BofA credit card "pre-approvals"

Thought this was a bit weird, so if anyone can offer an explanation, I would be more than happy to hear it.

So, I went to BofA website, and clicked the link for pre-approvals of CC's they offer.  I filled in all my information and got approvals on three of their products.  Then for s***s and giggles, I went back to BofA's homepage, and did it again, (all the same information entered -- ie. Address, SS#, DOB, etc.), but this time, substituting Mike for Michael (my first name).  This time, BofA says I am not pre-approved for anything.  What gives?  Anyone know?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong fora.  I am sure a MOD will move it, if it is.  Thanks in advance MOD SQUAD.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA credit card "pre-approvals"

mipema wrote:
Thought this was a bit weird, so if anyone can offer an explanation, I would be more than happy to hear it.

So, I went to BofA website, and clicked the link for pre-approvals of CC's they offer.  I filled in all my information and got approvals on three of their products.  Then for s***s and giggles, I went back to BofA's homepage, and did it again, (all the same information entered -- ie. Address, SS#, DOB, etc.), but this time, substituting Mike for Michael (my first name).  This time, BofA says I am not pre-approved for anything.  What gives?  Anyone know?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong fora.  I am sure a MOD will move it, if it is.  Thanks in advance MOD SQUAD.

They generate preapprovals based on a soft pull of your CR.  If the name you give them doesn't match the name on your CR, they won't give you any offers.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Warning it click accept an offfer but don't complete , and you try to pull them up again you won't be able to

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

just test this loaded my offers choose the AMex close te browser tried to load my offers again and their where no offers

Message 4 of 7
mipema
Contributor

cheddar wrote:

mipema wrote:

They generate preapprovals based on a soft pull of your CR.  If the name you give them doesn't match the name on your CR, they won't give you any offers.

Good to know - thanks Cheddar.  Ya know... They say Cheddar makes everything better.  I dunno about that.  You ever had cheddar cheese on rocky road ice cream?

Hmmm... In the personal information section of my CR's, my name is listed as Michael, however Mike is listed as a former name.  Do I need to contact the CR's to tell them, I am still using my name, and probably will be for the next, oh I dunno, 50 or so years?

Message 5 of 7
mipema
Contributor

rbbyrbsn wrote:
Warning it click accept an offfer but don't complete , and you try to pull them up again you won't be able to

Thanks for the input, but this is not at all what I was asking.  I asked if using a different name, other than the one on my birth certificate would cause me to not have any "pre-approvals" which was answered by Cheddar.

I don't need any more credit, and don't want any more credit.  I only did the whole pre-approval thing out of curiosity.  Thanks for your input nevertheless.
Message 6 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

most of the time when it comes to credit you would use your full legal name, my dad is Robert, but he doesn't apply for credit under bob.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.