Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA gets desperate

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: BofA gets desperate

I havent gotten 1 single offer from them. I had some 30 day lates with them in 2006 on 3 cards. No wonder they dont trust me.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i love using my 123 card on gas, when discover doesnt have 5%, and use it on all my groceries (2%!). its a great product... i to have experienced recategorization on accounts and that waas frustraiting but since i had my accounts changed to something that better fitted how much money i keep in there i havent had a problem. nobodies perfect ... iv seen much worse banks with no good products at all .... i.e. wells fargo

Message 12 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

I would love a BOA card as a way to restart a relationship with them. Guess i have one more year until my baddies from them fall off

Message 13 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Citi, and the company they sold my $0 balance account to in 2009, the infamous Santander Consumer USA...  they are both blacklisted in my book. I will never do business with Citi again

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 21
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I have mixed feelings about them honestly.

Maybe I'm just bitter that they declined for for their secured card back in '09...but who knows, I might have a shot now. I'd only want a BoA card just because I do my everyday banking with BoA and it'd fit in nicely on the logistic front. Their online banking kicks major butt.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 15 of 21
drkaje
Senior Contributor

FIA's allergy to goodwill is just a huge issue for me. I had pretty bad interactions with a few FIA reps a few years back. My account was originally with MBNA.

They have great banking and offer some nice products but nothing better than what I already have. It would really feel like a step backwards at this point.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 21
ceejx
Established Contributor

As someone who was just declined for a 123 card, this thread makes me feel better..... I remember having a bank account with them, for many many years, and their customer service sucked. That is if I could understand what they were saying on the phone. Always loved, back in the days when I didn't manage my money well, when they would pull out the largest item first from my checking, regardless of the date, and then process the transactions largest to smallest to get the maximum amount of fees and they refused to budge when talking to them....

I feel a lot better now, thanks! Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 21
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

BofA was the first bank I started business with far back in 2008 when I first came to the US as an international student. Back then I didn't have a social and had absolutely no idea if I stay in the US longer after my studies. BofA branch was just closest to the dorm I lived in (literally next block), so I walked in one day to open an account and a debit card.

Much later in 2011 when I moved to the US and became a resident BofA also was one of my first choices in opening a credit card. They generously gave me $500 CL... For all those years they were the only bank I really had business with. 

But today it starts to become a little annoying. This is the financial institution that knows me much longer than any other in the US. I still use that account extensively, so they see a huge part of my day-to-day financial transactions. Nonetheless their CL is the SMALLEST now among all my CLs and what is even worse it cost me a HP in April or May to try to get even a smallest CLI after my 7th or 8th month with them and they simply said no (I spoke to their analyst on the phone) without giving me any specific reason other than "To liitle time passed, try again in several months...". Immediately after that I got Discover and Chase with much higher limits, bot BofA is still at the same level it was almost a year ago...

In fact, I decided to give it a try once again later this year. I'll honestly wait for 13-14 months of my BofA card to pass and ask for another CLI. If "no" again - without any hesitation I'll close my checking account there, SD the card and forget about this bank... probably forever Smiley Happy

That's my 5 cents Smiley Happy

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 18 of 21
ceejx
Established Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

BofA was the first bank I started business with far back in 2008 when I first came to the US as an international student. Back then I didn't have a social and had absolutely no idea if I stay in the US longer after my studies. BofA branch was just closest to the dorm I lived in (literally next block), so I walked in one day to open an account and a debit card.

Much later in 2011 when I moved to the US and became a resident BofA also was one of my first choices in opening a credit card. They generously gave me $500 CL... For all those years they were the only bank I really had business with. 

But today it starts to become a little annoying. This is the financial institution that knows me much longer than any other in the US. I still use that account extensively, so they see a huge part of my day-to-day financial transactions. Nonetheless their CL is the SMALLEST now among all my CLs and what is even worse it cost me a HP in April or May to try to get even a smallest CLI after my 7th or 8th month with them and they simply said no (I spoke to their analyst on the phone) without giving me any specific reason other than "To liitle time passed, try again in several months...". Immediately after that I got Discover and Chase with much higher limits, bot BofA is still at the same level it was almost a year ago...

In fact, I decided to give it a try once again later this year. I'll honestly wait for 13-14 months of my BofA card to pass and ask for another CLI. If "no" again - without any hesitation I'll close my checking account there, SD the card and forget about this bank... probably forever Smiley Happy

That's my 5 cents Smiley Happy

That's what I did (closing the account right then and there) when they charged me over $500 in fees one day over some confusion about a deposit and it's timing.. I withdrew all money, closed both mine and my wife's accounts and asked my parents to do the same, which they did. Moved to Chase and a local CU.. and have been extremely happy. Chase has been a really good banking institution since then, so I'm happy with the move. 

Message 19 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

That's what I did (closing the account right then and there) when they charged me over $500 in fees one day over some confusion about a deposit and it's timing.. I withdrew all money, closed both mine and my wife's accounts and asked my parents to do the same, which they did. Moved to Chase and a local CU.. and have been extremely happy. Chase has been a really good banking institution since then, so I'm happy with the move. 

I always was very happy with Chase customer service. I banked with them exclusively from 1999 to 2012.  The only reason I closed my Chase account was because we moved and the nearest branch was now a 30 mile drive.  Since then I have switched to using NFCU and State Farm Bank.  I'm also joint on my husbands account with IBC.  IBC works for a brick and morter bank, but their online system is not great. As someone who banks almost exclusively via mobile and online banking, their online banking is fairly annoying.  State Farm has the best online system by far, and transfers to my NFCU account are credited as a direct deposit, saving me fees on e-checking.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.