cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA luv button call in message ALWAYS a good sign?

tag
janesmith1979
Valued Member

BofA luv button call in message ALWAYS a good sign?

I've read lots of posts on here about how some people have hit the BofA luv button for a CLI, get the message to call in for instant decision and don't call in, but when they check their accounts online a fews day later, see that the CLI was approved and went through.

My question is: has anyone who's hit the luv button gotten the message to call in for an instant decision, NOT called in, then checked their account a few days later only to see that the CLI was denied?

I'm too nervous to call in. I do have lots of recent inquiries and high util. on all of my cards, but no other baddies or any late payments and have had this card for 14 years. I'm hoping the good will outweigh the bad in favor of a CLI!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: BofA luv button call in message ALWAYS a good sign?

@janesmith1979 wrote:

My question is: has anyone who's hit the luv button gotten the message to call in for an instant decision, NOT called in, then checked their account a few days later only to see that the CLI was denied?

I'm too nervous to call in. I do have lots of recent inquiries and high util. on all of my cards, but no other baddies or any late payments and have had this card for 14 years. I'm hoping the good will outweigh the bad in favor of a CLI!

I've not called in after a "please call" message and gotten both denials and approvals. So while I wouldn't say the "please call"  message is necessarily a good thing, it just means that unlike many other lenders, with BofA it isn't outright bad.

Although the general consensus I've seen on these boards is that results are better with BofA if you call. Some say don't even bother with the luv button, go straight for a backdoor number.

Also, high util isn't automatically bad when asking to CLI. Especially if you tell the CSR you were hoping to balance transfer.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@janesmith1979 wrote:

I've read lots of posts on here about how some people have hit the BofA luv button for a CLI, get the message to call in for instant decision and don't call in, but when they check their accounts online a fews day later, see that the CLI was approved and went through.

Same thing happened to me... I had the card for 2 years 9 months now... haven't asked for a CLI in 15 months.. asked and received the message call for decision.. Didnot call, opened next day increased from 2500 to 6000....

Message 3 of 16
johnnie198x
Contributor

@janesmith1979 wrote:

It's kind of difficult to prove that CLI is denied just because the CL doesn't increase. I'd like to think of it as: 90-100% eligible -> instant online CLI, 60-90% ->asked to call in, but still increase CLI after a few days, 40-60% -> have to talk to cardholder to clarify.

If you're nervous because of recent inquiries, you shouldn't have clicked luv button in the first place. Now that you did, you have nothing to lose. If you call in, you have the opportunity to recon. Worst case, they declined you, try again in 6 months.

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 4 of 16
Established Contributor

@janesmith1979 wrote:

If you are too nervous to call in, I would say don't. Smiley Wink

I would never talk to a CSR when I am nervous. The CSR could notice my distress and the bank might get nervous about my ability to pay the balance back.

If you want to call the bank, I suggest that you have all of your answers to any possible questions written out in front of you.

If you are not prepared with good answers, my opinion is don't call. Sure you can try again in 6 months if you get turned down now. You don't however, want answers to questions on file that might indicate that you might be becoming a risky customer.

The number one question that will could be asked of course is why do you want the CLI? Be prepared to answer questions about current income.  

Message 5 of 16
EC341
Established Member

We ignored the call message at first. They left a few messages for us to call, at home and then at work, where we finally spoke to someone. We got the increase we wanted but around a week or so later, after the increase approval on the phone, we got a letter of denial in the mail. So, did they originally deny us cause we didn't call back or just because of high util.

We haven't had any inquiries since Nov. 2010 for one of us and Aug. 2010 for the other but do have mid to high util.

Message 6 of 16
janesmith1979
Valued Member

Thanks for all of the feedback and great advice, everyone! I'm going to wait a couple of days to see if anything changes on my account online before I call in.

Will keep you all posted on the outcome!

Message 7 of 16
Woolfman
Established Contributor

I've had the please call in message and did not call and then they called me! LOL

Message 8 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

we've gotten that message & never call in.  no one has ever called us, but we've never gotten a CLI after a few days either!  LOL.

Message 9 of 16
stefanc
Regular Contributor

About a year ago I hit the CLI button - got the message to call in. I didn't call as that seemed to be the thing to do from reading online - I kept watching my accounts online. Nothing happened for almost three weeks. Then I noticed one of my cards (the one I asked for a CLI on) had 0 credit available (closed) and the other had it's CL chopped in half. I called in then, of course.

I was transferred to a credit analyst, chatted with him for half an hour or so - he re-instated my closed account - and not only reistated my limit on the other but increased it 30% or so.

YMMV - but for me - I'll always call in now, and make sure all my ducks are in a row before I ask for a CLI.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.