Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA memory?

tag
Comp5569
Regular Contributor

BofA memory?

I've been searching the boards for an answer, but have been unsuccessful in finding a good one.

Anyways, I have a CO from BofA in which I paid less than the full amount owed, but it was settled.  This occurred in 2006, which I realize isn't very long ago.  Anyways, I applied for a platinum plus card hoping to be offerred the 99/500 card in return, but wasn't even offerred the basic secured card.

I have a Citi Upromise $3600, a Cap 1 $500 and a 1fbusa $150.  Basically, my question is how long is Bank of America going to have me blacklisted?  Also, the Citi Upromise card is being switched over to BofA soon, and I think Im better off just staying with Citi. Especially since I'm sure BofA will shut down the account, and I don't want to be out with both of them. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about getting in good with BofA again?  I have a checking and savings account with them right now, but would like to get a card with them as well.  Any advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: BofA memory?

Comp5569, how much was left from the settlement? BofA has a very long memory. Why not just call them up and find out what you can do to get back in again? If you didn't BK them, you may be able to work something out. Call them!

Your Citi UPromise card may not actually be shut down by BofA. I didn't quite understand your statement that it's being switched to BofA, but you think you're better off staying with Citi. Do you have the option to stay with Citi or will it automatically become BofA? Also, don't go thinking negatively. Wait and see how things play out.
Message 2 of 14
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

You are going to have a problem. They may not even offer you a secured card.

Let us know what happens.

Message 3 of 14
Comp5569
Regular Contributor

You have the option to stay with Citi.  I'm thinking I will probably just do this, and wait out Bank of America.  I don't really need the card with them now, it would just be easier doing banking and credit cards all under one site. 
Message 4 of 14
Comp5569
Regular Contributor

Ok, so heres what my credit report says:

Also, the late payments that lead to the CO started in Nov 04, but it wasn't CO'ed till June 06.  When will this be off my CR?

[TransUnion] Charged off as bad debt, Purchased by another lender  

[Experian] Purchased by a another lender. Unpaid balance reported as a loss by the credit grantor.  

[Equifax] Account transferred or sold, Charged off account  

Tranunion Experian -Equifax

Past Due: $0     -

High Balance: $782   $703 -
Limit: $2000 $2000   -

Payment:     $0 -

Opened: 06/13/2004 06/2004 06/2004-

Reported: 06/28/2006 06/28/2006 06/2006-

Message 5 of 14
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Well it is a charge-off and CO's will report until 7.5 years from the DOLA whether you've paid it or not. The only way you will get that off is if the OC GW's you, which is possible, but not likely. So this item is going to be your friend for a while. Any potential creditor will be able to see this on your report. BofA will be able to know that you had an account with them CO forever.
Message 6 of 14
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

ba doesn't blacklist for forever.  my experience

early-mid 90s- dumb/irresponsible w/credit...throw in some 'life' stuff and i wasn't able to pay ba.  2 ba ccs went to unpaid chargeoff status...and remained there.  adding to that pile of ..., i had 2 ba accts (checking/savings) closed by them for nsfs...and away we go to chexsystems.  bad/low times.  due to an inability to pay (and yes, i tried everything/paid what i could), ba and some other cc chargeoffs lingered on my reports for 7.5 yrs and i lived with NO ccs.  hard but a blessing in disguise and now my finances are in order again.

4/08- finally my 'past credit mistakes' (most of them anyways)- incl. ba- were off my reports.  i'd had other bank accts for awhile, but REALLY wanted a ba bank acct again.  feeling bold, i applied online...bam, instant acceptance.

feeling empowered by getting back in w/ba for banking, i figured well, may as well try for a cc.  ficos were in high 570s @ the times and some baddies (unpaid tax lien, cos, cas) remained...however, i had nearly 2 yrs of NEW/GOOD history (first premier/orchard) and NO new baddies since '03.

as expected, ba DENIED me for their platinum plus.  however, by a miracle of the universe, ba ACCEPTED me for their 99/500.

i'm soooooooooo thankful to be back in w/ba and can't wait for it to unsecure.

Message 7 of 14
GFer
Valued Contributor

Way to go, creditreformer...!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 14
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

thanks gf.  it was a long, dark road down and there were days when i felt like it was beyond hopeless.  i'm starting to see the 'light' again credit wise.  in fact, i recently got excited when my 5th BA 99/500 statement posted lol it's like i've reached the '1/2 way to unsecuring' status point.  having lived w/o ccs after my past bad mistakes, it's so nice to be able to pay all my bills again in full, save $, and manage my credit/life responsibly again.  ba gave me a 2nd chance even though they didn't have to and i'm hoping it turns into my biggest CL.  i've seen people start w/the 99/500 and have it turn into a 20k+ cl, so i'm hoping that happens to me.
Message 9 of 14
GFer
Valued Contributor

I know exactly what you mean! The only account I had with BoA before was a ckg acct that they had closed due to NSF's running up the balance that I couldn't pay. I did pay them off several months later when I got back to work. So yes, they do give 2nd chances.

It is so crazy to just to count 'monthly birthdays' on your accounts! LOL

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.