Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA secured credit card Annual Fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA secured credit card Annual Fee

I recently put in $1,000 for a secured BankAmericard with an annual fee of $39.

Is it true that the annual fee does NOT go away and you are stuck with the annual fee for the life of the card after it graduates or even if you PC? If so, should I just close the account?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Gabo
Valued Member

Re: BofA secured credit card Annual Fee

yes info is 100% correct, citi or capital or credit union

Message 2 of 15
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Hold your horses!!!  Don't go bailing out just yet... there are always some temporary workarounds.  First, people talk about Annual Fees like it's the end of the Universe.  All it takes is a call, but I'd rather send a certified letter to have it in writing, to communicate your concerns regarding the AF, etc.  More likely, they will waive the fee for the first time.  You have successfuly bought yourself another free year to allow your card to grow.

Some members, including myself, have made this an annual routine and have our good payment histories over x-years as leverage -- works every time!  Sometimes, you'll get a friendly note deviating your account from an AF for the next x-years -- just my own experience YMMV.

Message 3 of 15
vish1
Valued Contributor

No reason to cancel. BofA is pretty good if your payment history is clean.

They upgraded my secured (500 CL) to unsecured 7500 about 2-3 days before 1 year and when I called back, they waived off the AF for this year. So with your $39, you can use it for 2 years happily.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 15
Cranston
Established Member

I contact BofA and they told me.

After the card has been unsecured you can apply to change the type of CC to a non AF card.

My wife changed her card from the signature visa to a normal visa with BofA last year. They gave her a new account numbder but kept the card history.

Hopefully it will be a similiar process.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gabo wrote:

yes info is 100% correct, citi or capital or credit union

That hasn't been my experience.

Message 6 of 15
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Cranston wrote:

After the card has been unsecured you can apply to change the type of CC to a non AF card.

My wife changed her card from the signature visa to a normal visa with BofA last year. They gave her a new account numbder but kept the card history.

All their CSRs talk different things. I have been told by most reps that if your account originally had a AF, it stays even after a pc.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

@Cranston wrote:

All their CSRs talk different things. I have been told by most reps that if your account originally had a AF, it stays even after a pc.

Not sure how that is possible since banks such as Citibank and Bank of America have specific cards that are always no AF. 

Look at the BOA Accelerated Rewards American Express Card's Terms & Conditions:  No Annual Fee.  If you do a PC to a card that has T&Cs stating no annual fee, then it is extremely unlikely they will go against their own T&Cs and charge you an AF.

Message 8 of 15
Cranston
Established Member

I will let you know in June what happens when I try to unsecure....

My guess is it will come down to credit rating...If your score is high enough they will probably try and keep you as a customer.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I guess only time will tell. I'm really excited to have BofA grow with me. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.